2012 Sports Year in Review

From the hardwood to the football field, Ohio has given itself a foothold among the collegiate athletics landscape, a place it has not enjoyed for quite some time.

As 2012 reaches its culmination, it's appropriate to look back at some of the events and images that made this past year so special in Ohio history.

Jan. 21, 2012: Honoring a legend

Seventeen years after he left Athens for a nine-year career in the NBA, Gary Trent finished his college degree, allowing him to take his place among the other legends of Ohio basketball. His jersey was unfurled high in the rafters with a ceremony at halftime. But amidst the fanfare, the Bobcats still had a deficit to make up. Spurred by a second-half surge, Ohio won against archrival Miami in front of a capacity crowd.

March 2-3: Twice is nice

It's hard enough to hit a projectile thrown at you from close range. It can be even harder when Ohio softball pitcher Lauren McClary toes the rubber. In the Georgia Bulldog Invitational, McClary tossed back-to-back no-hitters. Ohio won both games by a combined score of 18-0.

March 16-18: Fitting the glass slipper

Ohio men's basketball rode late-season momentum into the Mid-American Conference tournament. After winning all three games by a combined 12 points, Ohio entered the NCAA tournament as a 13th seed. The Bobcats won their first two games by a combined 11 points to move into the Sweet 16.

March 23: Overtime anguish

Ohio became the Cinderella of the tournament when it tiptoed by Michigan and South Florida, both by slim margins. The next obstacle was perennial power North Carolina. The Bobcats went about their business and created chances to win the game. Ohio took the game into overtime when fatigue set in and North Carolina pulled ahead and won the game 73-65.

March 30: Goodbye, Groce

After orchestrating Ohio's improbable run into the Sweet 16, former coach John Groce was plucked away by Illinois, a school with a better basketball pedigree and deeper pockets. Feelings of betrayal and unrest took over Athens, but the fact remained that Ohio needed to replace Groce. Ohio Director of Athletics Jim Schaus eventually named Jim Christian the new head coach. The decision was based on his success within the MAC.

May 17-19: Cleats to fill

Former head coach Joe Carbone was a fixture for Ohio baseball and patrolled the third base coaching box for the better part of three decades. He drilled his players on the fundamentals of the game he loved, but he also preached about the fundamentals of life and becoming a complete person. Bob Wren Stadium honored him one final time.

Sept. 1: The will to win

Ohio football entered hostile territory at Penn State's Beaver Stadium, facing 97,000 screaming fans and a program in turmoil given the events that transpired before the season started. To their the credit, the Bobcats put the distractions out their mind. Quarterback Tyler Tettleton was perfect on the game-winning drive. He took chances by throwing the ball into coverage but his receivers came down with the ball every time. The 24-14 victory was Ohio's signature win and garnered a lot of national attention.

Sept. 8:  Welcome home

The New Mexico State Aggies were overwhelemed by the Bobcats, losing 51-24. The previous win against Penn State generated a lot of pride in the program as 25,893 fans were in attendance to witness Ohio wallop New Mexico State.

October 28: 296!

Mattie Liston became Ohio's soccer all-time leader in saves with 296. The milestone was part of a 15-save effort in a 1-0 loss to archrival Miami in the quarterfinal of the MAC tournament.

Few have put together a cross country season like junior Juli Accurso had last season. She captured her second MAC individual crown at the end of October and went on to win the Great Lakes Regional in November.

December 28: Back-to-back

Ohio limped into the AdvoCare V100 Independence Bowl needing a victory to break the slump. The Bobcats wasted little time in shaking the malaise, scoring 14 points in just seven plays. Before Louisiana-Monroe could find its collective mouthpiece, the game was well in hand. Ohio had built a 24-7 lead at halftime and redshirt junior running back Beau Blankenship ran for four touchdowns (a bowl record) to help cap the 45-14 victory.

Check out more Year in Review recaps from The Post here.

nr225008@ohiou.edu