Post Editorial: Quality, not quantity

Last week, a group of higher-education officials from colleges and universities across Ohio announced a proposal to change the way government funding is distributed to the state’s institutions.

The group’s proposal, spearheaded by Ohio State University president E. Gordon Gee, aims to restructure the State Share of Instruction formula to be more dependent on graduation rates than on enrollment.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich lauded the proposal, which had unanimous support from the higher education representatives in the commission, including Ohio University President Roderick McDavis.

We also support the plan, which seems to be a legitimate effort to give the most effective schools the money they need.

Schools that bring students to Ohio, keep them here, graduate them and give them a chance to find work in the state should be rewarded for the consistent ability to do so.

SSI is projected to make up about 21 percent of OU’s budget for the next fiscal year, so the proposal could have a major effect — especially considering OU ranks third in the state at retaining students, recording a 65 percent graduation rate for students who entered school in 2004, according to a May article in The Plain Dealer.

It is promising that the 12 administrators on the commission — including McDavis — as well as the governor were in support of the proposal, considering some could stand to get snubbed at the hand of the new formula.

We hope the proposal is adopted and that it encourages higher-learning institutions to become more effective at educating bright minds in Ohio for the duration of their academic careers.

Ultimately, we believe this proposal will benefit the state’s best colleges and universities. We hope it leads to affordable education for students looking to attend these colleges and universities.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post’s executive editors.