Ohio freshman Kiyanna Black drives the ball past a Detroit defender. The ‘Cats lost to the Titans 65-53 Sunday. (Logan Riely | For The Post)

Women's Basketball: 'Cats to switch up rotation after losses

After Ohio’s Dec. 2 loss to Detroit, the fifth straight for the team, Ohio coach Semeka Randall indicated that a change in the Bobcats’ starting rotation would likely occur.

“It’s time to rethink what we’re doing,” she said.

After practice on Tuesday, it was unclear what decisions Randall and her staff made about the rotation. Some players talked about variations in the depth chart, but Randall said that nothing had been decided yet.

Sophomore guard Mariah Byard, who has started each of Ohio’s six games this season, struggled in shooting the ball against Detroit, draining only one of six from the floor.

Junior guard Erin Bailes came off the bench against the Titans and hit seven of 15 shots for 19 points in the contest. Her performance might lead to a starting position.

“(Randall) hasn’t said anything, but from today’s practice it kind of looked like I’d be starting,” Bailes said.

Byard, on the other hand, looks to be facing a new role coming off the bench.

“I won’t be starting,” she said. “Maybe I can come off the bench and provide a spark.”

Freshman guard Kiyanna Black also said that she earned a spot in the starting five after Tuesday’s practice. She has scored 21 and 15 points in the past two games, respectively.

“I think I’m going to be starting next game — at the two or three spot, maybe,” Black said.

Though the players seem to have a grasp on the rotation changes heading into Thursday’s game at home against Eastern Kentucky, Randall isn’t ready to set anything in stone.

“We’re still looking to find the right pieces,” she said. “We’ll know at game time if (starting Black and Bailes) is what we want to do. I like the fact that they’re trusting us, and they’re going to step in and be ready. We’ll see at game time.”

Black has played well as of late and appears to be getting the hang of things pretty early on in her Ohio career.

“I’m more comfortable and focused (and) I’m being smart with my decisions,” Black said. “I’m slowly but surely working my way to being comfortable with everything.”

Randall feels as though Black is a special player because of her willingness to shoot and take charge.

“I think the gift she has, that not a lot of players in the country have, is that willingness to take shots and make plays for the team,” Randall said. “That’s just what God has blessed her with. Her mid-range jump shot is pretty deadly, she can break somebody off the dribble and stop right on a dime and knock a shot down.”

Though Black and Bailes have been bright spots for the Bobcats, they have been plagued by significant scoring lapses in their past five games. Ohio has been close early in games, but poor play in the second half has been its demise.

“We just have to finish,” Black said. “Our games are close, but we just lose it in the last few minutes.”

Closing out games seems to be the key for Ohio, as Byard recognized as well.

“We just need to stick together as a team and keep fighting,” she said. “Everything is there, we just need to finish.”

jm296009@ohiou.edu