Kiyanna Black

Women's Basketball: Ohio freshmen step up in second-straight win

It was a pair of freshman who sealed the deal for Ohio Sunday, securing a 79-72 victory against Morehead State in a high-scoring overtime thriller.

Ohio freshman forward Lexie Baldwin had career-highs in rebounds and points, with nine and 14, respectively, and came up with multiple momentous offensive boards late in the game. But it was freshman guard Kiyanna Black who starred for the Bobcats. She scored seven of her team-leading 19 points in the overtime period. But her biggest play of the game wasn’t a bucket — it came of the defensive end.

With 2:31 left in overtime and Ohio (3-5) ahead by four, Black took a charge from Morehead State junior guard Terrice Robinson, who scorched the Bobcats for 39 points on the game. She wouldn’t have the chance to total any more, though, as the foul was her fifth of the game, and sent her to the bench.

“I expect that type of player to step up and make plays,” Ohio coach Semeka Randall said, of Black. “We need to stop labeling people. I’m going to treat her like a basketball player. I don’t really give a dang if she’s a freshman, sophomore, or whatever she is; she is a basketball player in my mind.”

The two freshmen impressed just about everyone against Morehead State (1-8), as they were crucial to the victory and played well beyond their years.

“I really believe Lexie and (Black) can do some special things,” Randall said. “But, they have got to be committed to doing it every day, not picking and choosing. This is not high school anymore.”

Ohio junior guard Shavon Robinson, who had 17 points in the game and 12 in the first half, agreed with Randall in recognizing the level at which her younger cohorts competed.

“(The charge) was really big. She always has that in her,” Robinson said. “I just thought that was really great that she was able to step up and do that.”

The freshmen’s success hasn’t come easily, though, as Randall pushes Baldwin and Black to the brink in practice.

“I have been on them nonstop, because I know they have something special inside them,” Randall said. “Often times, they think that I am just picking on them, but this is why I’m picking on them, because they can do this for our basketball team.”

Baldwin acknowledged that practice is challenging, but she also realizes the benefits that stem from it.

“In practice, she’s very hard on us and it’s good that she is,” Baldwin said. “For today’s effort, it really just paid off.”

After suffering a five-game losing streak earlier in the season, Ohio is now riding a two-game wave. And for the Bobcats, it’s nice to see hard work pay off before the break for finals.

“This break is going to be good for us — I think we need a mental break,” said Randall. “It’s always good to end on a win and feel good about yourself.”