Changes to standards allow students to be 'remediation free'

Incoming Ohio University students have a greater shot at avoiding remediation classes altogether after uniformed statewide standards were introduced this month.

Presidents of Ohio’s two- and four-year public colleges and universities have established the standards for students to be considered “remediation free” for college-level English, math, reading and science courses.

Remedial courses help students prepare for college classes when they are not ready for them, said Rebecca Watts, associate vice chancellor of P-16 initiatives at the Ohio Board of Regents and former chief of staff to OU President Roderick McDavis.

Any high school student who receives an ACT test score of at least 18 in English, 22 in math, and 21 in reading will no longer have to take remedial courses in any Ohio public college.

Students who take the SAT who score at least a 450 in critical reading, 520 in math, 430 in writing will also be guaranteed remediation free.

“These uniform standards will help make it clear to students, parents and educators exactly what is needed to be considered remediation-free at any Ohio public college and university,” said Ohio Board of Regents Chancellor Jim Petro in a news release.

OU has developmental courses, which are the equivalent to remedial courses, said Jenny Klein, assistant dean for student success and persistence.

Klein said she considered OU to be “remediation free” even before the recent uniform standards were set.

“It’s easy for us, because our students who get a 20 or even a 21 on the Math ACT are considered remediation free,” she said. “Not only that, there is a lot of majors that you can take at OU without taking math.”

Math 101 and Math 102 at the Athens campus were remedial or “developmental” courses, according to the Office of Institutional Research at OU.

About 10 percent of freshmen took these courses according to data from the 2006 Performance Report for Ohio’s College and Universities.

“That is the most recent data we have as far as percentage of students taking remedial courses,” said Mike Williford, associate provost for institutional research and assessment, through OU Spokeswoman Katie Quaranta.

In Fall Quarter ’11, 20 students took Math 101 and 196 students took Math 102. During Spring Quarter ’12, 18 students took Math 101 and 82 students took Math 102.

“English 150 was also coded as developmental, but not many students took it,” Quaranta said.

Klein said those enrolled in the English class were international students.

According to the OU course listings, 56 students took English 150 during Fall Quarter ’11 and 50 students did in Spring Quarter ’12.  

“What’s likely to happen when admitted students are accepted to OU and they need remediation is the Athens campus would recommend students take remedial courses at a community college close to home or at one of OU’s regional campuses,” Watts said. “The state funding is going away by Fall 2018. More and more, you will see the universities advising students to seek remedial support at community colleges or regional campuses.”

Klein said it “makes sense” to have remedial courses taught at community colleges.

“The cost is less, and the classrooms are smaller, so students needing remediation are able to interact and learn for the classes they need development in,” she said.

bc822010@ohiou.edu