The Executive Branch

Editor’s note: This is the final in a two-part series examining Ohio University’s leadership structure. Go online to watch the last set of videos for the series.

Thousands of people come to work at Ohio University each day, but at the top of the chain are six administrators who meet weekly in Cutler Hall to discuss goals, plans and updates on university projects.

OU President Roderick McDavis and OU’s five vice presidents form the administrative team that manages different facets of university operations including fundraising, facilities, academics, research, student life and finances.

The different responsibilities involved in running a university require vastly different backgrounds; accordingly, the team has mixed experience in higher education and the private sector.

Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit has a Ph.D. in communications, while Vice President for Research and Creative Activity and Dean of the Graduate College Joseph Shields received his doctorate in astronomy. Similarly, McDavis has spent his entire career in higher education, while Vice President for Advancement Bryan Benchoff did advancement work for health and social service organizations for 12 years.

“It’s useful to have a diversity of opinions at the table,” Benoit said. “I bring a different perspective than (Vice President for Finance and Administration Stephen) Golding brings, yet we work very well together. The same thing with Dr. Lombardi … he brings a very different perspective too, but together, we’re better than any one of us alone.”

If McDavis accepts the new contract offered to him by the OU Board of Trustees in September, this year’s combined salary for the group will be more than $1.6 million.

McDavis, the highest-paid of the group, has also been in his position the longest — since 2004. While Shields has had the longest tenure at OU — 16 years — he only became a vice president in 2011. Previously, he was the chair of the physics and astronomy department.

Vice President for Student Affairs Ryan Lombardi is the newest vice president. He was chosen for the position following a national search after Kent Smith — who held the position until last year — left to become president of Langston University in Oklahoma.

This type of turnaround is becoming more frequent in higher education, Lombardi said.

“It really is rare anymore, at any senior level — or any level, for that matter — for there to be a super-long tenure,” he said. “President McDavis’ tenure is very long here by presidential standards right now.”

By nature of their different divisions, the vice presidents have their own priorities. Outside of his day-to-day administrative responsibilities, Shields still finds time to continue his own research. Lombardi, Benoit and Golding often attend Student, Faculty and Administrative Senate meetings after the normal business day ends.

For the past few years, much of the team’s time has been occupied trying to secure OU’s financial position and communicate financial decisions to the rest of the university.

“It’s a business model,” Benoit said. “So the question is, how do you get the funding that’s necessary in order to deliver the education?”

Benoit and Golding recently spoke to Student Senate about alternative tuition models; meanwhile, Benchoff focuses on another type of revenue production: private funds.

“Our endowment has grown nicely in recent history,” Benchoff said. “We have aspirations to take that well, well beyond the $500 million range.”

Considering each team member’s different priorities, consistently leading the university in the same direction could present a challenge. But McDavis and all the vice presidents have maintained their confidence in the administration to lead OU into the future.

“We’ve maintained our academic quality, we have maintained our competitiveness in terms of attracting and recruiting quality students … We have navigated the challenges of the state budget as it relates to trying to address the capital needs of the institution,” Golding said. “You can go on and on.”

bv111010@ohiou.edu