ALEXANDER

Alexander to speak at senior ceremony

During Andy Alexander’s time as ombudsman at The Washington Post, letters piled on his desk informing him of factual errors, too-frequent usage of anonymous sources and corrections that needed to be made in news articles.

Two years later, one letter that recently laid on the desk of Alexander, current Scripps Howard Foundation visiting professional at Ohio University, asked him to be the class of 2013’s commencement speaker.

“I think it is a nice honor and a great privilege to be selected as this year’s commencement speaker,” Alexander said. “OU gave me a very good grounding for a career in journalism.”

Alexander will speak at both the morning and afternoon ceremonies in The Convo on May 4. He graduated from OU in 1972 with a degree in journalism, has reported from more than 50 countries and has served as the Cox Newspapers Washington bureau chief.

OU President Roderick McDavis said in a statement that Alexander continues to “elevate the reputation” of the university through his time and generosity.

“Our students are fortunate for the opportunity to have such a distinguished alumnus as their commencement speaker,” McDavis said.

Alexander served as editor-in-chief of The Post from 1969-70.

“My life here at OU revolved around journalism and The Post,” Alexander said. “I fell in love with journalism at an early age, and The Post allowed me to do many amazing things as a campus journalist.”

Tom Hodson, director and general manager of WOUB Center for Public Media who served as managing editor of The Post during Alexander’s year as editor, said Alexander was the perfect choice for a commencement speaker.

“He has experienced the university at all levels, as an undergraduate student, as the editor of The Post and from an academic point of view,” Hodson said. “He also has immense professional experience.”

Alexander was raised in Urbana, Ohio, and after graduating from OU, he joined Cox Newspapers and worked as a reporter for three decades. He was named bureau chief in 1997.

“I think people will relate very much to Andy’s story,” said Robert Stewart, director of the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. “He has had an interesting career, and I think he has drawn a lot of lessons from it.”

In addition to being announced as this year’s commencement speaker, Alexander will also receive an honorary Doctor of Communication degree.

“The honorary degree is an honor that we bestow on those that distinguish themselves in their careers,” said Jennifer Kirksey, chief of staff to President McDavis.

The speaker for OU’s graduate commencement is Jay Ryu, associate professor of public administration in the department of political science and the Voinovich School of Leadership and Public Affairs.

“Ryu is the recipient of the 2012 Outstanding Graduate Faculty Award, and it is tradition that the recipient of that award delivers the graduate commencement,” Kirksey said.

bc822010@ohiou.edu