Post Column: Milk Stout's distinct flavor makes it a great way to end the night

This week, this column is taking a darker turn. In the past two weeks we’ve gotten sweet on Razz Wheat and gotten knocked back by Hopslam. But maybe you don’t like fruit beers, or maybe you don’t like hop-heavy flavors. So today we’ll review a beer from the opposite end of the spectrum. It’s darker than Guinness and it tastes better, too. You might think Guinness is the king of dark beers, but it’s quickly dethroned once you’ve tasted this beer. Today we’re going to tell you all about Left Hand Brewing Co.’s Milk Stout.

Milk Stout is given an 89/100 on BeerAdvocate.com, which means it’s at least a good beer. But in addition, Milk Stout has been racking up the medals in beer competitions worldwide. It deserves these awards, too. Made with milk sugar, Milk Stout has a unique flavor that makes it stand out from the pack. Left Hand describes this beer as “udderly delightful,” and we’re inclined to agree.

Like most dark beers, Milk Stout has very little head when poured. It’s almost black and opaque. Milk Stout smells like an alcoholic iced coffee; there’s a little bit of sugar and you can feel the alcohol. Overall, it’s a pleasant experience.

The taste is really Milk Stout’s strength. The beer starts with a fizzy sweetness. The middle taste is where the coffee flavors become most apparent. Don’t let that fool you, though — Milk Stout is not a coffee stout, and the flavor disappears quickly. In the back of the mouth, the stout’s added milk sugar takes over, leaving you with a mild chocolate milk aftertaste. It’s like being a kid all over again, except this time you’re tipsy.

Milk Stout is a dark beer that toes that line between being too heavy and retaining those characteristic stout flavors. And it toes it pretty well. It’s a perfect beer to get after you’ve had a few, and it’s one of our favorites for rounding out the night. Like last week, we’ll end with a warning. Milk Stout also comes on nitro (meaning that the beer is pressurized with nitrogen instead of CO2, making it creamier). Nitro beers are typically even better than their carbonated counterparts. With Milk Stout, this is not the case. And if you’re forced to buy a Milk Stout Nitro, ask the bartender to keep it in the bottle rather than pouring it in a pint glass.

Jared Henderson and Patty Arnold are seniors studying philosophy

and biological science, respectively, at Ohio University and columnists for The Post. What beer should be on their radar? Email them at jh350409@ohiou.edu and pa803908@ohiou.edu.