University releases tobacco survey, schedules open forums

To bring students into the conversation, Ohio University released an online survey today asking whether or not OU should still be a campus where smokers can light-up.

Released by Vice President for Student Affairs Ryan Lombardi in a campus-wide email, the survey asks students several questions pertaining to whether or not OU should become a tobacco-free campus.

“Last summer, the Ohio Board of Regents passed a resolution that asked each state institution to consider a tobacco-free policy for their campus,” Lombardi said, in the email. “As a response, Ohio University formed a Tobacco-free Task Force and our charge is to evaluate the potential impact such a policy would have on our campus.”

Asking questions about secondhand smoke, OU’s authority to regulate tobacco and how a tobacco-free policy could best be enforced, the survey aims to gauge student opinion on the matter, Lombardi said.

The survey is anonymous, though students who enter their email addresses upon completion are entered in a drawing to win a $25 gift card for Baker University Center.

Beyond asking student questions online, the university will be holding three open forums this week at 6 p.m. in Nelson Dining Hall on Feb. 20, 4 p.m. in Baker Center, Room 230, on Feb. 21 and 12 p.m. in the Amanda J. Cunningham Leadership Center in Baker Center on Feb. 22.

dd195710@ohiou.edu