Women's Basketball: Despite offensive efforts, Bobcats fall short to Eastern Michigan

For the first time ever, Ohio has lost 10 consecutive games, as the Bobcats remain winless in Mid-American Conference play following a 64-57 loss to Eastern Michigan Saturday.

After trailing by 18 points with nine minutes remaining, the Bobcats (5-17, 0-10 MAC) cut the deficit to just two points with less than a minute to play. However, Ohio was unable to get any closer, as Eastern Michigan (4-6, 6-17 MAC) scored five points in the final 30 seconds to clinch a victory.

Leading the comeback was junior guard Erin Bailes, who scored a game-high 19 points after shooting 5-for-10 from beyond the arc.

The Bobcats tied a season-high with 10 three-pointers, with Bailes and sophomore guard Mariah Byard combining for nine makes from downtown.

Although the game was close down the stretch, Ohio did not hold a lead past midway through the first half, as the first half was composed of runs by both teams.

Eastern Michigan began the game on a 5-0 run, but Ohio stormed back with eight points of its own — the Bobcats’ biggest lead of the game.

After leading by just one point with 7:30 left until halftime, the Eagles went on a 29-11 run before the Bobcats began their comeback late in the second half. During the comeback, Bailes and Byard connected on four consecutive three-pointers to cut the deficit to four.

Senior forward Tina Fisher pulled the Bobcats within two points, making a layup with 52 seconds remaining. On Ohio’s ensuing possession, junior guard Shavon Robinson turned the ball over, ending the comeback.

The Bobcats finished the game shooting 39 percent from the field, which is the highest percentage during their 10 game losing streak. However, Eastern Michigan made 48 percent of its shots.

In addition to her 19 points, Bailes also grabbed a game-high nine rebounds, falling just one board short of her first career double-double. Byard was the only other Ohio player to finish in double-digits with 14 points.

Four players on the Eagles finished with double-digit points led by freshman guard Bianca Cage with 16 points, as she made four shots from beyond the arc.

Since the beginning of MAC play, Cage is the leading freshman scorer in the conference, scoring almost one point per game more than Ohio guard Kiyanna Black.

Ohio will not play again until next Saturday, when it will host Western Michigan.

The Broncos are the only team yet to play the Bobcats this season, as Ohio has lost to every other MAC school.

cl027410@ohiou.edu