Women's Basketball: Ohio seeks end to historic losing streak

Though they are the two worst teams in the Mid-American Conference, Ohio’s first meeting with Kent State was the closest scoring margin of its season.

However, the Bobcats (5-18, 0-11 MAC) are hoping for their turn to earn their first MAC victory tonight after losing a 16-point lead with 13:54 to play and a four-point lead in the final minute.

“We really need to be prepared to play Kent State, because we gave them confidence and they believe they can beat us, because they did on our home court,” Ohio coach Semeka Randall said. “Kent definitely doesn’t believe we can come and steal one on their home court.”

The Golden Flashes (3-21, 1-10 MAC) completed a second-half comeback in the teams’ first meeting but have not been victorious since, having been outscored by an average of 20 points per game in three consecutive losses.

Kent State does own a better MAC record, but has an RPI rating of just 337, which is the ninth-lowest ranking in the NCAA. Ohio’s RPI of 314 is not significantly greater, though.

Wednesday’s matchup will feature the two worst teams in scoring offense and defense, as well as field goal and three-point percentages since the beginning of MAC play.

Though the Golden Flashes’ only MAC game decided by single-digits came in their lone victory against Ohio, the Bobcats are making strides toward ending their 11-game losing streak.

Sophomore guard Mariah Byard said the final minute in the first meeting between the teams will be used as extra motivation for revenge and end the longest losing streak in program history.

Byard has finished each of the past two games with 14 and 13 points, respectively, but the remainder of the team has struggled.

“I’m sick of sounding like a broken record as we continue to play in spurts and don’t necessarily understand what it takes for 40 minutes,” Randall said.

“Everybody is tired and going through aches and pains. We tend to think it’s only us, but it’s not. We need to hold ourselves accountable.”

The Bobcats have faltered in the second half as recently as this past Saturday, when Western Michigan overcame a six-point deficit to defeat Ohio, while the Bobcats did not score a field goal for 14:28.

Freshman guard Kiyanna Black, who is the Bobcats’ leading scorer, has also struggled recently, as she has finished with more than 10 points just once in five games. Black finished Saturday scoreless after missing all of her seven shots.

The Golden Flashes lead the all-time series 50-24 and have won the past four games on their home court against the Bobcats, dating back to before Randall took the helm for the Bobcats in the 2008-2009 season.

“I asked our seniors what type of legacy do they want to leave behind,” Randall said. “We’re on an 11-game losing streak and are setting history for the program right now — it’s unacceptable.”

cl027410@ohiou.edu