Football, men's basketball set attendance records

Ohio fans lived up to their moniker of “Best fans in the MAC” this season as they topped the Mid-American Conference in attendance for football and men’s basketball, according to an Ohio Athletics report released Monday.

Peden Stadium saw an average of 21,844 fans per game, while the men’s basketball team brought more than 6,900 for an average contest, according to the report.

The teams’ combined ticket revenue was the best in conference history and totaled a 32 percent increase from last season’s mark, the report stated. Ohio Athletics did not immediately make the revenue sum available Monday.

The men’s basketball team also posted a 53 percent increase in season ticket holders from the 2011-12 season, while the football team’s season ticket holder total jumped 35 percent from the previous year, according to the report. Neither season ticket holder total was immediately made available by Athletics.

The football team led the MAC in attendance and notched three of its top six all-time single game attendance totals this season. Its homecoming tilt against Akron was also the top ticket sales revenue game in team history, the report stated.

The Convo held more than 8,000 fans five times this season. Four of those games were among the top-10 ticket sales revenue games in program history, according to the report. The men’s basketball team led the MAC in attendance for the seventh time in the last eight years this season.

The 2012-13 season also featured the best average men’s basketball and football student attendance in program history, the report stated.

jr992810@ohiou.edu