Ohio guard D.J. Cooper passes by WMU defender Brandon Pokley. The Bobcats defeated the Broncos 74-63 in the MAC Tournament semifinal game March 15 at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland. (Daniel Kubus | File)

Men's Basketball: Ohio already looking ahead as senior players depart

Treg Setty and Javarez Willis alternated 3-point attempts at one end of The Convo hardwood Monday afternoon while Stevie Taylor practiced jumpers and free throws at the other.

Unlike Ohio’s last official practice of the 2012-13 season a week prior, coach Jim Christian was tucked away in his office, working on the side of coaching that doesn’t directly involve a ball and basket.

Six days before, the Bobcats fell in their final game of the 2012-13 season — a 4-point heartbreaker to Denver in the first round of the National Invitation Tournament.

At that point, they were only three days removed from a Mid-American Conference Tournament championship game drubbing at the hands of Akron.

Each loss was heartbreaking in its own right, but Christian said the Bobcats felt more dejected after the MAC defeat than they did when the buzzer sounded on their season and they bowed out of the NIT.

Since, a change of on-court personnel has swept the program.

Gone are the five seniors that made up the highest regarded class in Ohio history.

“I wish I could have coached them a couple more games,” Christian said.

Leadership turnover is an obstacle collegiate coaches are dealt on a regular basis, but it’s an exception to the rule to replace a group that has had such a lasting impression on their locker room as Ohio’s departed.

“When we had a senior class like we had, it’s hard for guys to lead,” Christian said. “There’s no room for them, so they’re worried about doing their own job. As guys get older, leaders start to emerge.

“Those situations start happening now.”

Christian said he hopes to see a renewed sense of drive among his team during the coming offseason months — something he said it lacked last season.

“When guys have had that much success the year before, and now they become seniors, human nature is that you’re not as hungry,” he said. “We had to fight through a lot of things this year, and I hope that hungriness prevails.”

Taking over the reins are familiar faces — juniors T.J. Hall, Jon Smith and Nick Kellogg, among others — but also fresh ones such as Willis, a junior guard, and Setty, a sophomore forward.

Incoming interior presences Maurice Ndour, a Monroe College (N.Y.) transfer, Antonio Campbell and Wadley Mompremier will look to, in part, fill the void left by big men Reggie Keely and Ivo Baltic.

Willis and Taylor will likely compete for the starting spot as point guard, as departing senior D.J. Cooper will soon begin his ascent to the professional game by vying for spots in collegiate all-star and invitational games during the coming weeks.

Walter Offutt’s departure leaves another backcourt position fresh for the taking.

Incoming freshman D.J. Wingfield, a shooting guard, will vie for playing time there next season.

Speculation about where players will fall on next year’s depth chart is shortsighted, Christian said.

Preconceptions about their style of play fit that mold as well.

“A new look doesn’t necessarily mean worse or different,” Christian said.

Six days after the conclusion of the Bobcats’ 2012-13 campaign, Christian already refers to it as “last season.”

That’s only fitting, as the Bobcats’ first team activity of the offseason — weightlifting — resumes this week.

Although some seven months from its first game, for Ohio, it’s already “this season” again.

jr992810@ohiou.edu