Post Column: New fishermen should angle for versatile rod

When it comes to equipment, the beginning angler might be quickly overwhelmed in his or her efforts to purchase a new rod and reel.

There are a few essential things to keep in mind while shopping. When buying gear, you must examine what you intend to do with it. You must think about what fish you want to target, how you intend to fish with it and how often or at what level you intend to fish.

Many new anglers will say they want an easy-to-use combo that allows for multiple species fishing. Sometimes they want to bass fish, but they often enjoy pan fishing or even catfishing as well. If you are one of these people, you will need a very versatile combo. I would suggest, if you are a beginner, to invest in a spinning rod. Spinning rods differ from baitcasting combos in that the line extends freely when cast. When the line is cast on a baitcasting reel, the spool turns and lets out line. This is often difficult to learn and can be a discouraging hassle for someone who does not intend to fish very seriously. Spinning reels can do everything a baitcasting reel can do, but some fishermen enjoy the extended cast distance, accuracy and sensitivity that comes along with the baitcast reels. Each style has its advantages and in the case of a beginning, all-around angler, I would suggest a medium action to medium-heavy action rod strength at a size ranging from about 6’6” to 7’0”. That will give the fisherman the ability to throw a wide variety of lures in a wide variety of situations.

For someone who has some experience and intends to begin more serious and more frequent fishing, the variations of rods and reels increases dramatically. Low-profile baitcast reels are the key tools for the bass angler. There are rods and reels made specifically for every type of fishing. These range from heavy action 8-foot rods with big reels intended for throwing big lures, such as the Alabama Rig, on heavy 60-pound line strength. There are also rods intended for using 6-pound test strength when wanting to throw light lures in more finesse-demanding situations. 

For a fisherman who has passed the beginning stages and wants to fish more often, possibly even beginning the tournament side of fishing, I would invest in a moderately priced ($50 to 100) baitcasting combo. A 6’6” medium-heavy action rod can be used in a wide variety of situations. I started my learning process with this gear and it worked great. These reels, if taken advantage of, can help cast more accurately, cover more water and, ultimately, catch more fish. For an average fisherman, the average baitcast equipment will be beneficial in most instances when compared to the spinning reel combination.

As in any sport or activity, be it golf or landscaping, you get what you pay for when it comes to your tools. There are reels on the market today that cost up to $500. However, the gear is not going to catch the fish and in many instances, only the highly-skilled fisherman would benefit from this high-end equipment.

Regardless of if you are beginning in the sport or advancing to higher levels of fishing, get affordable gear and get out onto the water. Spring is upon us — fish on!

Ryan Dentscheff is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University, the president of the OU Anglers Association and a columnist for The Post. Send him your fishing tips at rd291709@ohiou.edu.