Lauren McClary pitches against Kent State University on May 5, 2012. McClary's complete game helped Ohio seal a 3-2 victory. (Jason Chow | Staff Photographer)

Softball: 'Cats stats sink in doubleheader defeat

For the first time this season, Ohio is in the midst of a team-wide offensive slump.

Ohio (13-10) dropped both games of a doubleheader to Eastern Kentucky on Tuesday, as the Bobcats were outscored 17-3 and recorded just six hits in the games combined.

On the other side of the ball, Ohio committed eight errors, ensuing in a total of six unearned runs during the doubleheader. The Bobcats have now lost five consecutive games — a season-high — and have not scored more than four runs per game during the streak.

“We’re on a statistical roller coaster right now,” Ohio coach Jodi Hermanek said. “We seemed to come out strong, but our defense faltered and (Eastern Kentucky) blew the games open, while we didn’t adjust.”

In the first game, Ohio jumped ahead 1-0 for its only lead of the day after senior first baseman Caitlin Colvin homered in the second inning. The long ball was her 11th of the season, which leads the Bobcats and is just two away from tying the program’s single-season record.

However, Eastern Kentucky (16-9) scored three runs in the third, fourth and fifth innings.

With just one out and runners on second and third, senior catcher Lauren Gellerman and freshman shortstop Amanda Dalton committed throwing errors on consecutive plays in the fourth inning, which brought in a pair of unearned runs to extend the inning.

Defensive miscues behind her, poor control led to a rough outing for freshman pitcher Savannah Jo Dorsey. She allowed just four earned runs, but gave up six hits and walked six batters in 4 1/3 innings pitched.

Sophomore pitcher Lauren McClary relieved Dorsey in game one, before starting the second game, but did not achieve much more success. She allowed seven hits and hit four batters in a total of four innings.

“Our defense didn’t respond to the expectations we have for it and the other aspects of the game showed that,” Hermanek said. “We need to get better, because we were making errors on plays I know we can make.”

Although Ohio didn’t score more than one run in any inning in the first game, offense was even harder to come by in the second. Gellerman contributed the Bobcats’ one hit, and only two other runners reached base safely on walks.

In the circle for the Colonels was sophomore Lauren Pittsenbarger, who pitched a complete game one-hitter, while striking out nine batters.

Eastern Kentucky used just one pitcher per game, as sophomore Shaylon Robb also pitched seven innings in the first game. She also struck out nine batters in her outing, but allowed five hits and walked three batters.

The Bobcats will be off until Saturday when they host Canisius for a doubleheader. Since the beginning of March, Ohio has won just two of nine games.

“We just need to take a step back and start to get back to having fun,” Hermanek said. “Softball is a game that takes short-term memory, but we are holding on to the feelings for too long.”

FAST FACTS:

Eastern Kentucky 10, Ohio 3

Eastern Kentucky 7, Ohio 0

— The Bobcats have lost a season-high five straight games.

— Ohio committed seven errors and allowed six unearned runs in the two games.

— Ohio is just 2-7 since March began.

cl027410@ohiou.edu