Lauren Gellerman runs to first base during a game against Akron last April. The Bobcats hope to end their current losing streak on Tuesday against the Colonels. (Katharine Egli | Picture Editor)

Softball: Ohio seeks comeback against Eastern Kentucky

After beginning the season at its best pace in two decades, Ohio has slowed since the start of March, losing five of the past six games.

Poor field conditions at Dayton forced the Bobcats (13-8) to hold their home opener Friday against the Flyers — eight days before Ohio was originally scheduled to first play in Athens. Dayton swept the doubleheader, largely by preventing Ohio from getting key hits, which has been a main factor in wins this season.

“We weren’t making adjustments to the zone,” Ohio coach Jodi Hermanek said Friday. “However, we connected hard, especially in the second game, and Dayton was just making great defensive plays. It was a day that didn’t go our way.”

In the midst of a three-game losing streak, Ohio will attempt to execute adjustments when they travel to play Eastern Kentucky (14-9) on Tuesday. The doubleheader will be the Colonels’ first games at home this season.

The two teams split their doubleheader last season, which was Ohio’s home opener. The Bobcats won the first game 4-1 but were shut out in the second game.

Last year’s doubleheader had trends that were comparable to Ohio’s performance this season. In the first game, the Bobcat offense was efficient whenever runners were on base, while sophomore pitcher Lauren McClary pitched a complete game.

But in the second game, just five runners reached base and the Colonels combined for nine runs on 13 hits.

Hermanek would like to avoid inconsistencies this season, as it is a new year and another chance for her team to win two games.

“We want to make sure we always come out confident and show we are the best team on the field,” she said. “It’s not about winning one game tomorrow just to end the streak; we want to win both and prove we can play in doubleheaders before conference play begins.”

Eastern Kentucky has outscored its opposition 105-79 thus far but has done so by hitting just 13 home runs. Ohio, however, already has 31 long balls and 123 runs in two fewer games.

At the forefront of the offense has been senior catcher Lauren Gellerman, who leads the team with 33 RBIs and is second of the Bobcats with eight home runs. She is just four RBIs away from tying the program record (114).

In the circle for the Colonels will be sophomores Leanna Pittsenbarger and Shaylon Robb, who each have pitched more than 55 innings and have a sub-3.00 ERA.

Ohio is expected to toss McClary and freshman Savannah Jo Dorsey, who each have an ERA above 4.00, while combining for 112 strikeouts in 104 2/3 innings pitched.

Eastern Kentucky has won four consecutive games, coming off a three-game sweep of Belmont last weekend. The Colonels had lost their previous four games, as they have been streaky to begin the season.

“We just need to be good with the ball defensively,” Hermanek said. “We were uncharacteristic offensively Friday, but we plan on bouncing back after practicing between games.”

cl027410@ohiou.edu