Ohio’s Tina Fisher drives down the lane past a Northern Illinois defender. (Logan Riely | For The Post)

Women's Basketball: Exiting seniors make room for new lineup

Players come and go every season — it’s the nature of collegiate athletics. However, some leave more significant impressions on a program than others.

A trio of seniors, as well as coach Semeka Randall, finished their careers as Bobcats on Saturday when Ohio’s season was brought to a close in an 83-61 loss to Miami in the opening round of the Mid-American Conference Tournament.

Despite a poor overall record, forward Tina Fisher, along with guards Ashley Fowler and Symone Lyles’ consistency will be missed after their departure.

The senior trio was on the court for 46 percent of all minutes played this season, as they also accounted for the Bobcats’ three highest total minutes played individually.

Fowler compiled the most minutes for the Bobcats, averaging 35 minutes per game –– the second-most in the MAC this season.

Though none of the seniors averaged more than seven points, five rebounds or four assists per game this year, the trio led the Bobcats throughout injuries.

Ohio will be forced to find new players to fill the void next year, but the team will be mostly inexperienced because of injuries and youth.

“In terms of them being able to play those significant minutes and finish strong, you can’t take anything away from (the seniors’) impact on the team,” Randall said. “However, I think the unique part of basketball is that new talent and fresh blood comes in that is motivated and looking to make a difference.”

Expected to return will be 10 Bobcats, along with a recruiting class of three players. Fueling the roster will be the five members of the 2011 recruiting class that was ranked No. 60 in the country by Collegiate Girls Basketball Report.

Despite the recognition the class received heading into their careers at OU, the five players combined recorded less than 10 percent of the total minutes played this season.

Sophomore guard Mariah Byard played 511 of the 568 minutes the class contributed this season. Though she was also touted as the best recruit in the class, Byard also missed five games this season because of injury but averaged more than six points per game.

Freshman guard Kiyanna Black and classmate forward Lexie Baldwin played in every game this season, as they gained experience since the beginning of the season.

Black was Ohio’s leading scorer for the majority of the season, while Baldwin averaged the most rebounds per game of any Bobcat. 

With three more recruits coming in next season, former assistant coach Pat Charity expects the page to be turned quickly after this season’s 6-23 mark.

“It’s all going to be about opportunities,” Charity said in February. “(Next year) will obviously be a rebuilding year, but I think the new players will bring in some consistency and a winning attitude, because they have won before.”

Headlining the incoming recruiting class is Quiera Lampkins, a point guard from Solon. She is a three-star recruit according to ESPN, which also gave her a grade of 90.

With a nationwide coaching search being conducted by Ohio Director of Athletics Jim Schaus and a group of Bobcats that have yet to wear the uniform or make an impression on the program, a set of new faces will attempt to erase the memories of this season.

cl027410@ohiou.edu