Bob Boldon

Women's Basketball: Ohio announces Bob Boldon as new coach

Ohio Athletics announced Thursday the hire of its new women’s basketball coach Bob Boldon, formerly of Youngstown State, less than three weeks after deciding not to renew former coach Semeka Randall’s contract.

During her five years at the helm, during which she made $142,000 annually, Randall posted an overall record of 50-103, including a 22-58 mark in Mid-American Conference games. Both her overall and conference winning percentages are the worst in program history.

The Bobcats (6-23, 1-15 MAC) wrapped up one of their worst seasons in program history at the beginning of March. However, Boldon has experience in turning programs around.

Boldon earned the Horizon League coach-of-the-year honors this season, after leading the Penguins (23-10) to their first 20-win season in 13 years and a berth in the Women’s National Invitation Tournament this season.

He turned the Penguins around in just three years, as the Penguins recorded an imperfect 0-30 season prior to his hire. During his tenure at Youngstown State, Boldon posted an overall record of 39-54.

Ohio will be his third stop as a Division I head coach, after previously coaching at Youngstown State and Lambuth University. Boldon also has experience in the MAC, having served as the top assistant coach at Akron from 2006 to 2008.

cl027410@ohiou.edu