Women's Basketball: Worst conference finish on the line for Ohio against Miami

Ohio is down to its last chance to avoid its worst Mid-American Conference record in program history, when Miami comes to Athens Wednesday for the Bobcats’ final home game of the season.

The Bobcats (6-21, 1-14 MAC) fell to the RedHawks 78-56 in the teams’ first meeting of the season, despite freshman Kiyanna Black’s season-high 26 points.

Although the record might not be an indication, the Ohio team that lost to Miami (17-11, 9-6 MAC) in January is not the same that will take the court Wednesday.

Junior guards Shavon Robinson and Erin Bailes, along with sophomore guard Mariah Byard, were inactive because of injury during the first meeting, but have led Ohio during as of late.

Robinson has finished with double-digit points in each of the past five games, while Bailes has recently emerged as Ohio’s leading scorer, averaging just less than 11 points per game.

However, Miami relies on a pair of top scorers as well, fueled by seniors Courtney Osborn, a guard, and Kirsten Olowinski, a forward.

Osborn, the second-leading scorer in the MAC, is averaging almost 19 points per game, while Olowinski adds more than 12 points per game. The duo serves as the only RedHawks that average at least 10 points, although junior guard Hannah Robertson scored 21 points against Ohio in January.

The RedHawks have won three of their last four games overall, with the only loss coming against Akron in their most recent game. Miami has also won its last three meetings with the Bobcats.

The Bobcats are tied with Kent State for the worst record in the conference, as each has just one win in MAC play. Because they split the season series, if both teams fail to win their regular season finales, a coin toss will decide seeding for the upcoming MAC Tournament.

An Ohio win and a Kent State loss Wednesday will clinch the 11-seed for the Bobcats in this weekend’s conference tournament. The same scenario would also prevent Ohio from finishing with the worst record in the MAC for the first time ever.

With Wednesday’s game being the regular season finale, the Bobcats will not play at home again this season. Ohio will hit the road next and play at a campus site in the first round of the MAC Tournament.

If the Bobcats lose to the RedHawks, but still clinch the 11th seed in the tournament, they will travel to Miami for a rematch Saturday. If the Bobcats finish in the 12th seed, they will travel to play Bowling Green Saturday — unless the Falcons lose to Kent State in their season finale.

cl027410@ohiou.edu