Ohio's Lorenzo Fisher follows a Buffalo Bulls wide receiver to the ball at Peden Stadium. During the Oct. 6 game, Ohio defeated Buffalo with a score of 38-31. (Logan Riely | For The Post)

Football: 'Detail-oriented' coaching style fosters success

Healthy competition has been bred amongst Ohio’s cornerbacks this spring because of an infusion of experience and talent led by a new position coach.

The Bobcats’ top three position players return, as does a pair that was projected as starters in 2012 before falling prey to season-ending injury.

Cornerbacks coach James Ward, formerly of Nevada, has instilled an invigorated emphasis on technique and has found his players to be receptive to his stripped-down coaching style.

“I give everyone their (position grades) all on one sheet,” he said. “Everyone can see exactly where everyone is. You can see guys jockeying for positioning, saying, ‘Hey, I’m only a position point away from you. I’m going to catch you.’ ”

Ward has plenty of tools to choose from in Ohio’s defensive backs. Unlike many of Ohio’s other position groups, the Bobcats’ cornerbacks are all seeing action this spring, though redshirt seniors Travis Carrie and Jamil Shaw often don non-contact jerseys.

Carrie and Shaw are recovering from season-ending shoulder injuries that occurred before and during Ohio’s 2012 season opener, respectively. After sitting out his senior season, Carrie, now a graduate student, was granted a medical redshirt and a sixth year of eligibility.

That experience, Carrie said, has led to an institutional knowledge he wants to impress upon his fellow position mates.

“The knowledge aspect is good for me because I can teach the younger guys at a faster pace,” he said. “We can all be on the same page and sharpen each other in the defensive back room.”

One of those under Carrie’s tutelage is Larenzo Fisher, a junior who started in his wake last season as a largely unproven underclassman.

Fisher and partner Ian Wells, now a redshirt sophomore, started 11 games apiece last season and combined for 95 tackles.

Redshirt sophomore Devin Bass’ presence increased as the 2012 season wore on, as he accumulated 43 tackles, which was good for 11th on the team.

Fisher said the experience gained from being forced into crucial game situations from the get-go last season has prepared him to improve his performance this season — a notion that should stand for Bass and Wells, too.

“You can see it a lot,” Fisher said. “I know the defense and am getting the chemistry with my players, so I feel really good and comfortable out there.”

Freshman cornerbacks Jarid Brown and Dyquan Stewart have also joined the squad early this spring and will challenge for playing time, Ward said.

The only real adjustment for Ohio has been working under Ward, who took the place of former cornerbacks coach Fred Reed.

Reed was named to the same position at Syracuse in February.

Ward said his perennial points of emphasis are likely different than the ones Reed established in his tenure with Ohio, but said the transition between coaches has been smooth.

“At the defensive back position, all we have to rely on is our technique,” Ward said. “We’re exposed. When you make a mistake, everyone in the stands or on TV sees it.”

Carrie and Fisher said their new coach’s approach is welcomed with open arms by the cornerbacks and that Ward doesn’t hesitate to get his point across despite being somewhat soft-spoken.

Ward admits to this.

“To create muscle memory with your technique so it becomes second nature is what I strive for,” he said. “So, to do that you have to hound, harp and be meticulous. I think the guys thought I was a little off my rocker with how detail-oriented I (am.)”

jr992810@ohiou.edu