Post Column: Don't worry, be happy and keep your chin up

If there’s one thing I’ve learned in the past 15 weeks … I couldn’t tell you what it is.

Attempting to drudge through the hodgepodge mush that my mind has been reduced to during the course of the past month or so and come up with an accurate summing-up of what I’ve “learned” while writing this column (aside from the fact that my procrastination truly knows no worldly bounds) would be impossible.

In lieu of this, I give you 10 statements that I live by.

10. Appreciate when things are going well in your life. Because, if we’re being honest, they ain’t gonna stay that way for long. In the same vein, though, realize that, as you’re getting kicked when you’re down, it’s temporary. The universe owes you something good and it’s coming your way, I promise.

9. Listen to awful music. Annoy everyone with it. Dance to the Princess Diaries soundtrack on your back patio at 6:30 a.m. after staying up all night to write a research paper. Hope that it wakes everyone up.

8. Do not put up with anyone who disrespects you. Grow a damn backbone. Your self-worth will grow exponentially.

7. Figure out what makes you tick. I am reminded that I am a writer when I wrench my laptop open in a half-asleep daze at 4:30 in the morning, frantically clacking keys to record some pseudo-romantic, well-worded thought that I’ll never forgive myself for if I let it slip away. This is cathartic. Find something — anything — that makes you feel like that and do it as much as you can.

6. Do what you want. I’m serious. We’ll only be this healthy once and life is too short to lament over the fact that you drunkenly bummed a cigarette from someone (… or bought a pack) or ate an entire bag of cheese puffs in one sitting. We all have our vices. You’re allowed; it’s OK. Forgive yourself.

5. Don’t worry too much about your grades. Is that so awful of me to say? Oh, whoops. It’s true. You will not remember what you got on your macroeconomics final when you’re 40, nor will it bar you from getting a job.

4. Cry. You will feel better.

3. Laugh, especially at yourself. Self-deprecating humor is, in my book, the only effective way to deal with anything. If you can’t even have the humility to make fun of yourself, then you should probably getcha bum off that high horse and back into reality.

2. “Gravity Rides Everything,” by Modest Mouse.

1. Be content on your own. Don’t be needy. Don’t ever rely on anyone else as your source of happiness. I can’t even begin to express how important this is. Your friends are great, your significant other is great, your family is great, but at the end of the day, you are the only one that you will ever be able to count on. Self-reliance and independence are two of the most important traits

you can ever acquire.

That’s all I’ve got. There is no way to end this without a cliché that’s been used ad nauseam, so I’m just going to stop here and thank everyone who’s read these weekly incessant ramblings this past semester. You guys are the best. Seriously, every last one of you. Let me shake your hand.

Keep your chin up, because you, my friends, are worth it. Go forth.

Cortni Dietz is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University and a copy editor and columnist for The Post. What have you learned about yourself this year? Email Cortni at cd509910@ohiou.edu.