Post Endorsement: F.U.S.S. for Student Senate

We see it every year: an insider ticket packed with experience and knowledge running against an unconventional ticket with big ideas.

Some years, it’s better to vote for that insider ticket — its members know how Student Senate works and how to get things done. They’ve been on senate for three years, and they’ve been planning for this election since August. They are all across campus, passing out fliers, T-shirts and candy, hoping to convince students they are the right choice. This year, they aren’t.

This year, The Post endorses F.U.S.S. for Student Senate.

The three F.U.S.S. candidates have worked hard to lead Ohio University students without having Student Senate behind them, and they’ve done a better job of it than senate has.

Instead of using their resources on bright T-shirts and banners, F.U.S.S. candidates have spent election season doing what they always do: rallying students around causes that matter. Tuesday’s large protest against tuition increases and guaranteed tuition was organized by the Ohio University Student Union, a group founded by F.U.S.S. vice presidential candidate Jacob Chaffin (current senate chief lobbying officer).

Just one example of many is that while student senators applauded OU President Roderick McDavis during a presentation about guaranteed tuition at a recent senate meeting, Chaffin was speaking at a forum about student debt.

F.U.S.S. has new ideas about getting students involved, and its members understand that to make students care, you have to go to them rather than wait for them to approach you.

The ideas about “outreach” presented by F.U.S.S.’s opponent, VOICE, are more of the same: tabling and surveys. While VOICE’s leaders do want to make organizational liaisons more visible on campus, F.U.S.S. proposes simply having senators do their jobs.

With F.U.S.S. in charge of Student Senate, we believe the body will be more visible than ever to everyday students. F.U.S.S. candidates have proven that they know how to make students care, something that senate has struggled with for years.

It’s time for senate to try something new and stop being complacent. F.U.S.S. will make that happen for Student Senate.

Endorsements represent the majority opinion of The Post’s executive editors.