Sophomore Adrienne Gebele catches during practice. She was recruited as a catcher, but currently plays right field. Gebele has hit 10 home runs this season. (Julia Leiby | For The Post)

Softball: 'Cats rack up home runs

Entering the 2013 campaign, two Bobcats had hit at least 10 homers in a single-season —senior catcher Lauren Gellerman and junior third baseman Raven King.

This season, a triad of Bobcats has already belted double-digit homers this year, paced by Gellerman (18), senior first baseman Caitlin Colvin (17) and sophomore outfielder Adrienne Gebele (10).

Though Gellerman and Colvin have ranked among the best power hitters in the NCAA since the beginning of the season, Gebele has remained under the radar despite excelling offensively.

“Adrienne is always quiet. That’s just her demeanor and personality,” Ohio coach Jodi Hermanek said. “She’s nothing flashy or in the moment, but she’s always chipping away and has a tremendous swing.”

Gebele, a native of Annapolis, Md., has quietly paced Ohio alongside other Bobcat sluggers, but has done so after being forced to adjust her defensive position from catcher to right field.

She was originally recruited by Hermanek to be Ohio’s starting catcher, but Gellerman’s dominance has resulted in Gebele ditching the catcher’s mitt for an outfielder’s glove.

“I played outfield growing up, so it hasn’t been too big of a transition,” Gebele said. “I just love being in the game, so any way I can contribute to my team and help out for wins is fine with me.”

Gebele hit four home runs and drove in 18 runs, though she started just 20 of Ohio’s 57 games during her freshman campaign, as she made the majority of her appearances in pinch-hitting situations.

But this season, the sophomore has helped Ohio in the midst of the Bobcats’ recent slumps, by hitting a team-leading five home runs since the beginning of Mid-American Conference play.

Gebele has also recorded the most putouts of any Bobcat outfielder, despite the defensive transition. Yet, she and Hermanek and are aware that roaming the outfield is not in Gebele’s future plans.

“We messed around with her playing outfield last year, because we couldn’t exhaust her as a pinch hitter,” Hermanek said. “While she’s filling a great role in the outfield this year, I do foresee her being our catching battery next year.”

Strength is a characteristic that has fueled her excellence, as her nickname is also Gladiator for her prowess in the weight room.

“We’re always happy when a ball goes out of the park — it doesn’t matter who hits it, we’re all excited,” Gebele said. “I just want to keep contributing whenever my team calls upon me. Pressure is a privilege, so I want to just keep working hard.”

cl027410@ohiou.edu