Softball: Despite Bobcats' crushing loss, senior shines

Entering Tuesday’s doubleheader against Ohio State, Ohio coach Jodi Hermanek said she wanted the Bobcats to prove they were the best team in Ohio.

Ohio (19-16) dropped both games by finals of 4-2 and 6-1. Senior catcher Lauren Gellerman did all she could to lead the Bobcats, while making her case for being one of the best players in the nation.

Gellerman smashed three home runs in just four at-bats Tuesday, giving her 17 home runs this season — a new team-high and program-record. Her home run total also ties her for the second-most in the NCAA.

“I’ve been really comfortable in the box and confident today,” Gellerman said. “It sounds stupid, but I just saw the ball and hit it.”

Aside from Gellerman’s power shown at the plate, the Bobcats had a taste of their own medicine Tuesday, as Ohio State hit a trio of homers that proved to be the difference.

In the first game, Ohio entered the fifth inning leading 1-0, but after junior designated hitter/first baseman Leesa Gresham’s three-run home run capped a four-run inning.

Ohio, however, finished the first game with more base hits than Ohio State, but the offense couldn’t advance runners.

Freshman pitcher Savannah Jo Dorsey (9-6) took the circle for the Bobcats, pitching a complete game three-hitter. She also struck out nine in the contest, but because of three walks and the rough fourth inning, Dorsey picked up the loss.

“I thought (Savannah) pitched well in the first game, but it was a one-pitch-wonder when we missed our spots,” Hermanek said. “(Ohio State) is a good hitting team and they challenged us with certain parts of their lineup.”

The second game was much of the same for Ohio at the plate, aside from a solo-shot by Gellerman in the third inning.

Ohio State’s sophomore pitcher Alex DiDomenico recorded the first 15 outs by strikeout, before junior left fielder DJ Engleman flied out in the sixth inning. DiDomenico finished the game with 17 strikeouts in a complete-game performance.

Meanwhile, the Bobcats used a trio of pitchers inside the circle. Sophomore pitcher Lauren McClary started but was replaced before recording an out in the third inning, after allowing three hits and as many earned runs.

Fellow sophomore pitcher Kaylin Clarke then entered the game for Ohio, but she too allowed three earned runs in 3 2/3 innings pitched, before Dorsey finished the game.

cl027410@ohiou.edu

FAST FACTS:

Ohio State 4, Ohio 2

Ohio State 6, Ohio 1

— The Bobcats have lost three straight games.

— Lauren Gellerman homered three times Tuesday.

— Ohio State’s Alex DiDomenico struck out 17 Bobcats in game two.