Women's Golf: 'Cats show several personal bests in fifth place finish

Ohio faced a 14-team field at the Eastern Kentucky Lady Colonel Classic this weekend, but was able to muster its fifth-lowest three-round score in program history and a fifth place showing.

Ohio shot a combined 311 and 308, respectively, in its first two rounds before spotting a 307 in its second Saturday round. The Bobcats’ cumulative score was 33 strokes worse than Toledo, the tournament’s victor.

Mid-American Conference teams made up five of the tournament’s top seven finishers.

Ohio junior Kara Brinkmann was the Bobcats’ strongest performer, being that she tied for eighth place out of 87 golfers with her three-round score of 228.

Sophomore Julie Lechner and freshman Angela Codian finished the weekend tied for 12th place with scores of 230.

The top-10 finish was Brinkmann’s second of her Ohio career, while Lechner sliced 16 strokes off her previous 54-hole best.

Senior Sarah Tranelli finished tied for 49th with a total score of 241, and junior Kristen Helmsdoerfer finished tied for 59th with a 244.

Lauren McKinzie, a freshman who entered the weekend as an independent player, finished her three rounds with a score of 237, which placed her 37th overall and bettered her individual record by 11 strokes.

Ohio will next compete on Saturday in the Falcon Invitational at Bowling Green.

ab109410@ohiou.edu