OU's commencement ceremony highlights students' academic achievements

Hidden in the hills, Ohio University has a party-school reputation that sometimes overshadows all else. But on Saturday morning, the academic achievements of OU’s students were in the spotlight.

OU’s 2013 commencement ceremonies began Friday with graduate students. Undergraduate commencement ceremonies started at 9:30 a.m. Saturday. In all, about 5,000 OU students will graduate this weekend.

Former Washington Post ombudsman Andy Alexander, a 1972 alumnus of OU and current visiting professor, received an honorary degree and was the undergraduate ceremony’s commencement speaker.

“Everything in Athens is more intimate,” Alexander said. “It’s sort of deceptively competitive; it’s delightfully weird and funky. Comfortable with what it is.”

His speech focused on the importance of giving back time — not just money — to OU after graduation.

“Giving back is actually predictive of greater self-esteem and greater happiness in later life,” Alexander said. “Every one of you can give (OU) your time. Each one of you graduating seniors can start doing that immediately.”

Though Alexander was soft-spoken, his jokes about OU’s Moms Weekend and his competition with President Barack Obama — this year’s commencement speaker at Ohio State University — lit up the crowd.

“Yes, I am aware that Obama is giving the commencement address at OSU tomorrow,” he said. “I am happy anytime to be the warm up act for the leader of the free world … (but) things are a little different here at Ohio, the state university.”

OU President Roderick McDavis opened the ceremony at about 10 a.m., after students and faculty took about 30 minutes to file into The Convo.

“We welcome the class of 2013 to your graduation,” McDavis announced to the crowd. “As president of OU, I am delighted to welcome family, friends and most especially, our graduates to our morning graduation ceremony.”

Outgoing OU Student Senate President Zach George spoke briefly at the ceremony and asked the graduates to realize the potential that comes from failure.

“Failure is something all of us experience. Something we all share,” George said. “Sometimes it takes a resounding 'no' from the world to gain some perspective on how you’re leading your life."

Other speakers included OU’s Vice President for Student Affairs Ryan Lombardi and William Hilyard, chair of the OU Alumni Association.

“All of us at the alumni association want to help you succeed and keep you connected to your alma mater,” Hilyard said. "When you leave The Convo today, you join a connection of nearly 200,000 alumni worldwide.”

Undergraduate students from the College of Business, College of Fine Arts, regional campuses, Russ College of Engineering and Technology, Scripps College of Communication and University College received their degrees at the 9:30 a.m. ceremony.

Undergraduates from the College of Arts & Sciences, Patton College of Education, College of Health Sciences and Professions, Center for International Studies and Honors Tutorial College will be recognized at 2 p.m.

Though much of his speech focused on giving back, Alexander did offer OU students a piece of advice.

“Do not panic about the future,” he said. “It’s very hard to screw up your life before about age 35.”

dd1957@ohiou.edu