Pitcher Lauren McClary delivers a pitch against Wright State. The Bobcats swept the Raiders in a doubleheader on April 18. (Julia Moss | Staff Photographer)

Softball: 'Cats fall to Falcons, remain alive in MAC Tournament

Though Ohio's offensive statistics rank among the best in the NCAA, the Bobcat offense remained dormant Wednesday in a pitcher’s duel to begin the Mid-American Conference Tournament.

No. 6 Ohio fell to No. 7 Bowling Green, 2-0, in the opening round of the MAC Tournament, but the Bobcats remain alive for at least one more game that will be played in the consolation bracket.

Despite the loss, pitchers Lauren McClary, a sophomore, and Savannah Jo Dorsey, a freshman, combined to allow just four hits. However, the Bobcat offense managed to record just two.

"I thought that Lauren was extremely solid from the start," Ohio coach Jodi Hermanek said. "We lost a little bit of control giving up a few walks with two outs, but all and all, her first four innings were extremely solid."

McClary did not allow a hit during her first 3 1/3 innings pitched, but then allowed three singles and walked a batter in the fifth inning to allow the game’s only runs. Dorsey then replaced her after 4 2/3 innings and did not allow a base runner the remainder of the game.

"Then I thought (Dorsey) did an awesome job coming in and really going after those hitters," Hermanek said. "She helped the defense stay within two (runs)."

Offensively, senior designated hitter Chelsea Hortman and freshman shortstop Amanda Dalton recorded Ohio’s only hits at the plate, but neither were able to advance around the bases and score.

Seniors Lauren Gellerman, a catcher, and Tessa Bailey, a second baseman, were the only other Bobcats to reach base, as they drew a walk and hit by pitch, respectively.

The Bobcats will next play Thursday at 11 a.m. against No. 4 Miami, which lost to No. 5 Northern Illinois 2-1 in opening round action Wednesday. All games in the MAC Tournament are played at Firestone Stadium in Akron.

Miami swept Ohio in a doubleheader earlier this season. The Bobcats lost the first game 1-0, before falling 11-5 in the second game.

The Bobcats will look to avoid being swept in the MAC Tournament for the second consecutive year, as they have lost their past five games in the tourney.

"We need to put it all on the line," Hermanek said. "We need to play with no fear, no hesitation, and no reservations. We have nothing to lose and everything to gain, and we need to play with heart and there can't be any holding back."

cl027410@ohiou.edu