Softball Notebook: Bobcats fall in opening round of MAC Tournament

Ohio fell to Bowling Green 2-0 in the first round of the Mid-American Conference Tournament Wednesday, but the Bobcats will remain alive in consollation bracket the double-elimination tourney.

Pre-game

For the seventh consecutive season, Ohio has earned a big in the MAC Tournament, despite inconsistent play from the Bobcats throughout MAC play.

The Bobcats (26-27, 9-13 MAC) have not won the MAC Tournament since 1995, which was prior to the current double-elimination format.

No. 6 Ohio will attempt to make a run at another conference championship beginning at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday against No. 7 Bowling Green (26-22, 9-13 MAC). The two teams split the regular season series.

In two games this season, the Bobcats outscored the Falcons 8-3, but Bowling Green was able to win the second game by a final of 2-1.

The winner will remain in the winner’s bracket and play again Wednesday at 7:30 p.m., while the losing team will move to the consolation bracket and play at 11 a.m. Thursday. All games are being played at Firestone Stadium in Akron.

Last season, Ohio was swept in the MAC Tournament, while Bowling Green lost their first game, but managed to win their second game, as they finished the tournament 1-2.

Ohio's starting lineup:

Senior Tessa Bailey (2B), junior Erin Lashley (RF), senior Lauren Gellerman (C), senior Chelsea Hortman (DH), sophomore Adrienne Gebele (RF), junior Alexandria Basquez (3B), junior Raven King (1B), freshman Amanda Dalton (SS), junior Alyssa Wolfe (CF) and sophomore Lauren McClary (P).

First Inning

Top: McClary retired the Falcons in order, as she forced a ground out, pop out and a fly out.

Bottom: Bailey grounded out to the pitcher, before Lashley struck out. Gellerman then ended the inning with a ground out the the shortstop, as both teams were retired in order.

Second Inning

Top: Bailey committed an error to allow the lead off batter to reach, but the next batter then grounded into a fielder's choice for the first out, before McClary forced a pair of pop outs. 

Bottom: Hortman recorded the game's first base hit to lead off the inning. Gebele then popped out the third base, before Basquez struck out after failing to check her swing on the third strike. King then popped out third to end the inning on the next at bat.

Third Inning

Top: McClary recorded her first strike out to begin the inning, before forcing a lineout to second base and a ground out to shortstop. She has yet to allow a base hit at this point.

Bottom: Dalton struck out, before Wolfe and Bailey grounded out to third base. Through three innings, neither team scored.

Fourth Inning

Top: McClary forced another line out to second base, which was Bailey's fifth put out of the game. However, junior center fielder Katie Yoho then recorded Bowling Green's first base hit. She was then caught stealing second base by Gellerman. McClary then forced another ground out to finish the inning.

Bottom: Lashley grounded out to begin the inning, but Gellerman then drew her 23rd walk of the season. Hortman then fouled out into a double play, as freshman pinch runner Alexia Cortez was picked off at first base after the catch.

Fifth Inning

Top: McClary allowed a single to freshman left fielder Marisa Shook, before the next batter popped out to first base on a bunt attempt. The following batter attempted another sac bunt, but was thrown out at first base. Shook advanced to second. Senior catcher Adrienne Dick then singled to center field, driving in Shook and giving Bowling Green a 1-0 lead.

Freshman pinch hitter Braiden Dillow also singled to put runners on first and second with two outs. McClary walked the next batter to load the bases, before walking another. 2-0 BGSU.

Freshman pitcher Savannah Jo Dorsey relieved McClary and recorded the inning's final out.

Bottom: Gebele and Basquez struck out to begin Ohio's half of the inning, before King also struck out. BGSU pitcher Paris Imholz struck out the side in the fifth.

Sixth Inning

Top: Dorsey forced another ground out to begin the sixth, before striking out the next batter. She retired the Falcons 1-2-3, as Dorsey forced a ground out to end the inning.

Bottom: Dalton led off Ohio's half of the inning with a single to left field. Sophomore Kaylin Clarke then struck out when pinch hitting for Wolfe, before Dalton was caught stealing at second base. Bailey was then hit by pitch, but Lashley struck out looking to conclude the sixth.

Seventh Inning

Top: Dorsey forced a line out to begin the inning, before the next batter popped out to first base. Dorsey finished the inning with a strike out, as she retired each of the seven batters she faced.

Bottom: Gellerman lined out the center field to lead off the inning. Hortman was then struck out, before Gebele grounded out to second to end the game.

Final

BGSU    000  020  0  —  2  4  0  

OHIO    000  000  0  —  0  2  1

WP — Jamie Kertes (4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 SO, 1 BB)

LP — Lauren McClary (4.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 SO, 2 BB)

Up-next

The Bobcats will move to the consolation bracket after losing their first game and will next play Thursday at 11 a.m. Ohio's opponent will be the loser of No. 4 Northern Illinois and No. 5 Miami. 

cl027410@ohiou.edu