The Bobcat volleyball team celebrates after their match point play that won them the game against Northern Illinois on October 19, 2012. The Bobcats came back from losing the first set to winning 3-1. (Logan Riely | For The Post)

Volleyball:New summer schedule brings new routines

Because of the switch from quarters to semesters, last summer was not much of a break for Ohio, as the women’s volleyball team was training the entire summer.

However, with the academic calendar change completed, the Bobcats had much more time to prepare during this summer for the upcoming season. Coach Ryan Theis gave the team the first seven weeks off, which included all of May and most of June, marking Ohio’s longest break ever, but Theis believes that the Bobcats deserved it.

“I think that we had a really long spring, especially when you combine the Europe trip,” Theis said. “The spring got pretty long, and the players are probably really nicked up and can use the break.”

Redshirt junior outside hitter Liis Kullerkann said before summer began that as long as the Bobcats stay in shape during the break, they should be prepared when reporting back to campus for workouts.

“I hope that all of the girls are self-disciplined and keep working out and eating healthy over the summer,” Kullerkann said. “If everyone does that at home (we) should be on the same page come pre-season.”

Kullerkann, who is from Estonia, said she has always made a trip home in past summers, but with the extra time this year, she will be able to train and enjoy leisure time with friends and family.

“I’m not too worried about myself (staying in shape) because I’m practicing with the national team in Estonia,” Kullerkann said. “In my free time I’m going to try to travel around Europe, go to a wedding, and spend time with my family.”

Theis believes that the best part about the summer for a fall sports team is the bonding that players experience with incoming freshman.

“The nice part about being a fall sport is we are able to bring in our incoming freshmen July 1,” Theis said. “They’ll be able to use our workout facilities, get to know teammates, play pickup games, and do strength and conditioning. As coaches we can work with them until August 9, but the older players can kind of lead them and take them through open gym.”

Taking seven weeks off might have seemed like a long break, especially for the older players who haven’t had a break that long since high school, but Theis refused to make the Bobcats come back immediately when he had the chance to give them some rest.

“I didn’t want to make them come back any earlier because they deserve a break. Our seniors have gone almost three years without a break, and our sophomores have gone two,” Theis said.

ab109410@ohiou.edu