Freshman cornerback Dyquan Stewart stretches during football practice at Peden Stadium. (Calvin Mattheis | For The Post)

Football: 'Cats prepare for impending all-around attack

One constant in the ever-changing world of college athletics is the prospect of a new season, sure to be full of triumphs and tribulations, every year.

The Bobcats accomplished both last season and will look to start their 2013-14 campaign on the right foot Sunday against No. 9 Louisville.

Ohio returns an experienced, senior-laden team that was picked to win the Mid-American Conference East Division. Its opponent, however, is predicted to be one of the nation’s top teams — a potential national title contender.

Ohio redshirt senior quarterback Tyler Tettleton said it’s key for the Bobcats to approach their opponent as they would any other team, despite the Cardinals’ national prominence.

“It’s just another game, and that’s how we should look at every single game no matter who we’re playing,” Tettleton said. “We’ve got a good game plan going into this one and I think everybody’s ready, so we’re excited and ready to get going.”

The Cardinals, which ended their 2012-13 season with an Allstate Sugar Bowl win, are led by their Heisman contending quarterback, junior Teddy Bridgewater.

He’s the kingpin of a start-studded offense that includes senior running back Senorise Perry, who has been named the Cardinals’ week-one starter, and junior running back Michael Dyer, an Auburn transfer.

Perry rushed 705 yards last season before tearing his right anterior cruciate ligament against Syracuse on Nov. 10.

Whether handing the ball off or looking downfield, Bridgewater is hardly lacking offensive options.

He’s consistent, too, having completed 68.5 percent of his throws last season, and throwing just eight interceptions.

One of Bridgewater’s favorite targets is junior wide receiver DeVante Parker, a Big East first-teamer who led the team with 744 yards receiving and 10 touchdown receptions last season.

Redshirt senior wide receiver Damian Copeland also had 628 receiving yards and two touchdowns last season.

Given Louisville’s impending aerial attack, Ohio coach Frank Solich said it will be key to limit the Cardinals’ run game as much as possible, as to curtail a dual-pronged offense.

“If they do get both (running and passing) going, you’re in deep trouble,” Solich said. “You know they’re going to complete some passes and make some plays and you just want to try to really limit that as much as possible in the ground game.”

Solich also said winning the battle in the trenches will be paramount to Ohio’s success, particularly on the offensive side of the ball, where the Bobcats will feature players with varying experience levels.

The Cardinals defense is anchored by redshirt senior safety Hakeem Smith, a three-time all-Big East Selection who leads a cast of 12 starters returning from a defense that ranked 16th nationally in pass defense last season.

Solich said the team would have its hands full with a potential national championship caliber team.

“This may be the most complete football team we’ve played since I’ve been here,” he said.

“They have a combination of things that I think we have not faced before since our time here at Ohio.”

mk277809@ohiou.edu