Joe Burrow, star quarterback for the Athens Bulldogs, poses for a photo.

Athens High School star player eyes options for college

Joe Burrow isn’t your quintessential high school junior.

On fall Friday nights much of Athens watches Burrow’s every move. The quarterback, in a nutshell, is the face of the Athens High School football program.

This tremendous spotlight would diminish many, but Burrow remains focused on two goals: staying humble and winning.

“I try not to think about spotlight and all that. I’m just worried about going out and winning football games,” Burrow said. “I try to stay humble and ignore the spotlight.”

However, it’s been hard to ignore the spotlight after seeing his college football interest expand from Ohio University to Ohio State University and University of Alabama — among others in recent months.

Last year, during his sophomore season, Burrow tossed 47 touchdowns for 3,239 yards, as he completed more than 200 passes for a completion percentage of 62. His numbers earned himself Division III Second Team honors, and he was also named the Southeast District Offensive Player of the Year.

Ryan Adams, coach of the Athens Bulldogs, backed up Burrow’s comments on his humility despite the attention.

“Joey is a pretty humble football player,” Adams said. “He has all the characteristics you want to see in a big-time football player. He makes the people around him better because he is humble, and he pushed people to work hard by the way he works.

“We don’t spend a lot of time, and Joey knows this, talking about individuals on our football team. Joey is very good because we have 10 other guys doing their job.”

Despite only being a junior class prospect, Burrow has seen letters from various colleges throughout the country flood his mailbox. The 6-foot-3, 180-pound athlete also hears from coaches via telephone.

“It hasn’t been as hectic as you would think. I receive mail throughout the week and talk to coaches here and there.

“I’ve received a couple letters from Alabama. That’s been a pretty cool (experience),” Burrow said. “Alabama’s offensive coordinator called my coach. A lot of people heard about it, so I get asked a lot about them.”

High school football players everywhere dream of suiting up for their favorite college teams some day, and Burrow is on a bright path to do just that.

“It’s definitely been my dream since I was a little kid. I always wanted to play college football so it’s something I’ve always strived for.

“I might want to take visits this year to see some schools,” Burrow said, who has thrown for 467 yards and six touchdowns this season. “But it all comes down to who asks me to come visit.”

The Athens native has already received a scholarship offer from the Ohio football team, and his family ties to the program could help the Bobcats going forward.

His father, Jimmy Burrow, is in the midst of his ninth year as the team’s defensive coordinator, an assistant to head coach to Frank Solich.

“I like Ohio a lot. My dad being a coach there is cool, and they were my first offer,” Burrow said. “They’ll always be high on my list. I’m open to all schools that want to come in and recruit me.

"I think my dad obviously being at Ohio might play a factor. He has a lot of coaching connections all across the country so he can help me in that aspect.”

Burrow said that his season goal is for his Bulldog (2-0) squad to bring home the Regional Championship, which will continue this Friday against Warren.

sk825212@ohiou.edu

@SKwiatkowski247