Beauty and the Bobcat: Fresh fall beauty tips for the Athens scene

Hello everyone! My name is Taylor and I am a self-proclaimed beauty buff. I’m not an expert in cosmetology by any means (Scripps, represent), but I am a beauty-obsessed college girl and I’d like to share my love for all things glamorous.

As we all know, being a college student is extremely stressful. It’s easy to roll out of bed and head to class in running shorts and an “OU, Oh Yeah” T-shirt and even easier to climb into bed after a long day and just crash. It seems like there are not enough hours in the day to do everything we need to get done, so how do we sufficiently take care of ourselves when we have a ton of homework to do on top of class and work?

That is the purpose of this column: To help keep you happy, healthy and looking and feeling your best through all the stress.

Here are some beauty trends that fit seamlessly with Athens’ picture-perfect autumn scene:

Hang on to your sea salt hair spray from the summer (I like Not Your Mother’s: Beach Babe) – texturized waves are still in for fall, paired with a center part or intricate braids. Pony-tails and second-day hair is also trendy right now, as hints of ’90s grunge resonated on the fall runways.

Fall makeup also gets grungy with smudged smoky eyes (Try Laura Mercier Supreme Black Kohl Eye Liner) and sultry cat eyes (Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner is my all-time favorite – since high school). Bright, glittery and metallic eye shadows have also made an appearance on the runways, which is a far cry from the neutral palettes that we have seen frequently in past seasons.

I honestly don’t think I could be any more excited about bright red shades of lipstick becoming one of this fall’s trends. I recently ran out and bought some (Kate Moss for Rimmel London in shade 103) on a whim because I was feeling particularly feisty. Orange-colored lips as well as hot pink and moody plum shades were also prevalent on runways.

The popular matte lipstick trend made its way to finger nails for the fall, especially in edgy, dark colors like plum and black. Nude-colored nails are also still popular, along with ultra-light pinks. You can get trendy fingers with any polish by using a matte topcoat (my favorite is Essie Matte About You).

I don’t know about you, but I am pumped for this season. Coming from season-less Florida, fall never meant too much to me. Seeing the beautiful Athens scenery has got me completely smitten. I am fully prepared to break out my jeans, riding boots, sweaters, scarves — and red lipstick.

Taylor LaPuma is a junior studying journalism and a columnist for The Post. What fall trend are you the most excited for? Email her at tl674710@ohiou.edu.