Football wide receiver coach, Dwayne Dixon (left), and his son, Ian, share a special relationship on and off the field. (James Conkle | for The Post)

Dixon brings wealth of experience, energy to Ohio

Dwayne Dixon’s booming voice cuts the air before every practice as he recites one of his trademark phrases — “it’s a great day to get better.”

Under Dixon’s seven-year tutelage as wide receivers coach, Ohio has experienced an unprecedented level of success from its wideouts.

In 2011, Ohio set eight offensive records and scored 427 points, while amassing more than 6,000 yards of total offense. Last season, Ohio’s wide receivers helped the Bobcats to the Mid-American Conference’s fourth-best offensive attack, as they recorded 62 receptions for 2,397 yards and 17 touchdowns.

Ohio redshirt senior wide receiver Donte Foster said Dixon has done wonders for his development and the program as a whole. In 2012, Foster caught eight touchdowns for 659 yards — more than 300 yards better than his previous season high.

“I just remember coming here as a little scrawny freshman,” Foster said. “I never thought I would improve that much and (I) can’t thank him enough for how much he’s done for me and this program.”

Dixon is also known for his seemingly boundless energy during practice — something Ohio redshirt senior wide receiver Matt Waters appreciates.

“He likes to get out there and show us the drill,” Waters said. “He’ll run the out (route) and sometimes he’ll fall down because he doesn’t have cleats on, but he’s very hands on...he demands perfection.”

Dixon brings a wealth of knowledge to the program, having come to Ohio after multiple collegiate coaching stints and an extensive professional career in the Arena Football League and the National Football League.

Dixon began his two-year NFL career with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 1984 and played in the AFL from 1987 until 1991.

The AFL selected Dixon, a receiver and linebacker, as one of its top 25 all-time players in 2012.

“The experience in arena ball was just a tremendous experience for me,” Dixon said. “Playing arena ball brought you more back to the ironman style of ball (of playing on offense and defense) as you used in high school...we were setting a trend for a different style of ball that’s been around now for over 20 years.”

Dixon spent 15 years on the coaching staff at Florida, his alma mater, and two seasons at North Carolina State before coming to Ohio, where he has coached multiple NFL wide receivers, including LaVon Brazill and Taylor Price.

“I’ve always been one of those guys that tries to make sure you’re enthusiastic about what you do and have a passion about how it’s done, and when you’re carrying it out you’ve got to be demonstrative in carrying your efforts out in a positive way,” Dixon said. “I want your actions to speak so loudly you don’t have to say anything.”

Dixon’s son Ian, a redshirt sophomore wide receiver, has appeared in each of Ohio’s three games this season.

Ian said his special relationship with his position coach often goes unmentioned, but said he and his dad have bonded because of their onfield relationship.

He’s also learned to appreciate his father’s humor.

“(Before), I wasn’t able to see it,” he said. “But now I see it, and now I see why people think he’s so funny all the time.’”

Dixon said he has coached more than 20 players that have signed NFL contracts, as well as 11 All-Americans.

Foster said Dixon knows what it takes to prepare players for the professional ranks.

“I feel like a lot of our players want to pursue the next level, so with him having a lot of experience he can try to push you and teach you those things that will try to get you there,” he said.

mk277809@ohiou.edu

@brandon_kors