Field Hockey: Ohio on the road this weekend for a pair of games

With just one weekend remaining until Mid-American Conference play begins, Ohio will pack and hit the road again for a pair of weekend games in Coraopolis, Pa.

The Bobcats (2-5) will take the field against Towson (1-7) Saturday before playing host team Robert Morris (5-3) on Sunday.

The defense has been strong for Ohio lately, as the Bobcats have allowed teams to score an average of just one goal per game since allowing six goals to Louisville on Sept. 8.

Senior goalkeeper Brittany Walker has led the recent defensive surge by allowing just four goals in Ohio’s past three games. Her play earned her the MAC Defensive Player of the Week honors last week.

On the offensive side of the field, senior Jessica Jue has carried the Bobcats by scoring a goal in two of the past three games.

Looking ahead to this weekend’s competition, Ohio will meet Towson, which has lost five consecutive games. Since defeating Georgetown on Sept. 6, Towson has been outscored 13-1.

Senior forward Kathleen Morris (5 points) and freshman defender Sam Zelenick (4 points), who lead the team in points, are also the leading goal scorers with two each, though the Tigers have only scored seven goals this year.

Robert Morris should provide the Bobcats with better competition, though the Colonials have managed a 1-2 record since stringing together a four-game winning streak earlier this season.

During the run, Robert Morris recorded shutouts in each game, while scoring seven goals of their own.

Junior Jamie Hartley leads the Colonials with 12 points while also having three goals and six assists. Sophomore Jess Martin-Brown leads the team in goals with five, while junior goalkeeper Erin McKenzie has tallied four shutouts and has only allowed 1.25 goals per game. 

Coaches and players were not made available for comment to the media for a preview of this weekend.

tj790511@ohiou.edu