Redshirt senior wide receiver Mario Dovell suffered leg injuries in last year’s game against Penn State. (Olivia Raney | For The Post)

Football: From the sideline, Dovell's leadership, durability shine

Going into Ohio’s 2013 season, wide receiver Mario Dovell felt primed to make an impact on the gridiron after missing all but the Bobcats’ season-opener the year prior because of a season-ending injury.

That was before the redshirt senior re-injured a nagging knee injury against Louisville and ended back where he began — on the sidelines, serving as an extra set of eyes and an informal mentor for the Bobcats.

The road to recovery from a broken leg and dislocated and torn ankle ligaments suffered against Penn State was grueling — heartbreaking, Dovell said. But he has done his best to remain positive despite his more recent setback.

“It drives me crazy; it drives me nuts,” Dovell said. “Especially after you just sat a year and you’re dealing with another injury, it just takes its toll on you.”

Ohio offensive coordinator Tim Albin said Dovell has been quick to lend a helpful hand to the rest of Ohio’s wide receiver corps and that when Dovell returns to the field — whenever that may be — he expects he will start and provide an added boost as a physical blocker to the Bobcats’ perimeter running game.

“He’s living in the training room; he’s getting treatment two to three times a day,” Albin said. “He’s doing above and beyond what the trainers are asking as far as rehab.”

After totaling only 30 receiving yards in 2010, Dovell had his most productive season as a Bobcat in 2011, when he played in 12 games and caught eight passes for 151 yards.

Ohio wide receivers coach Dwayne Dixon said that despite the intangibles that Dovell brings to the offense, such as his toughness and elusiveness, he has noticed an uptick in his attention to detail since his season-ending injury in 2012.

“He has a sense of yearning to show that he’s capable of being durable, and he has a sense of leadership right now,” Dixon said.

Ohio redshirt junior wide receiver Chase Cochran said Dovell is an extra set of eyes at practice, and in turn can also answer questions from receivers.

“Obviously he’s a huge leader,” Cochran said. “He’s been here for a long time and knows the playbook. That not only helps the young guys who are unsure of what they’re doing, but it helps us to just to give us a second opinion.”  

Dovell said while he was injured last season, his time away from the football field made him appreciate the game he loved even more.

“You start to appreciate the little things,” Dovell said. “When you’re in a cast for 10 weeks and then when you’re able to be back on the field you just love it … I cherish the moment out here on the field and enjoy time with the players and the coaches.”

@Brandon_Kors

mk277809@ohiou.edu