Men's Golf: Bobcats finish 34-over-par at invitational

With the first tournament in the books for the men’s golf team, the Bobcats have much to improve on for the rest of the season.

Despite finishing the first round in eighth place, Ohio dropped to 12th during the second round Monday, before finishing in 11th after the final round Tuesday at the Marshall Invitational.

The Bobcats finished the invitational with a combined total of 34-over-par and a combined score of 886 in 54 holes. During the first round Ohio recorded a score of 294 before notching rounds of 300 and 292 during the final two rounds.

“We played better today, some of the guys shot some good balls,” Coach Bob Cooley said. “Yesterday hurt us, we should’ve been in the top seven or six, but we still have a lot to work on.”

Richmond, which finished the tournament in first place, jumped four spots in the standings during the second round to win the annual golf tournament, as the Spiders finished just three-over-par overall.

Richmond’s Danny Pizetoski finished as the best golfer in the tournament, finishing six-under-par with an overall score of 207. He began the tournament with a score of 68 in the opening round.

The Cincinnati Bearcats, which finished the first 18 holes atop of the leaderboard, dropped to second place in the tournament.

The Bobcat’s Andrew Mlynarski led the team throughout the two-day tournament with 42 pars, as he finished two-over-par after the final round of play. His 215 score was enough for him to place 17th overall, individually in the tournament.

“He had an opportunity today and he performed well,” Cooley said.

After beginning the first round with a score of 71, freshman Ty Herriott finished his first collegiate tournament with a score of 78 in the second round and 77 in the final round.  

The Bobcats were the only team in the invitational that had multiple golfers hit an eagle, as Herriott, freshman Peyton White and senior Phil Gieseker each recorded one throughout the tournament.

Cooley will look for the Bobcats to improve on their fairway hitting and wedge game for their future tournaments.

“We need to hit the ball better on the fairway,” he said. “We hit way too many bogeys today.”

The Bobcats will not compete again until Sept. 21 in the Wolf Run Intercollegiate, which is one of three events the team will compete in this month.

lr514812@ohiou.edu

@Lukeoroark