Post Editorial: Ohio University shouldn't leave students in the dark

Ohio University’s administrators and police department are entrusted with ensuring the safety of all students, faculty, staff and visitors on campus.

Recent events on campus, including the death of freshman Michael Robinson and the evacuation of Clippinger Laboratories, have illustrated a pattern of keeping those people in the dark.

University officials have confirmed Robinson’s dorm room has been emptied and his funeral has taken place in the time since he was found dead in Atkinson House on the morning of Aug. 31.

But no one from Student Affairs, university police or the Athens County Coroner’s office has been able to shed any light on the cause of his death.

Robinson’s death was a campus tragedy, and we sincerely wish to respect his memory and his family. There are, however, numerous reasons why the information cannot remain hidden.

Firstly, ensuring the public’s safety is greatly benefited by keeping the public informed about potential dangers. The only information we have at this point is that his death was “unexpected.” At this point, foul play could still be the cause.

In the sorrowful event the rumors that his death was a suicide are true, the decision to omit the somber truth is a dishonor to his memory and a disservice to the university.

Similarly, the evacuation of Clippinger on Tuesday requires further explanation from the university. The hall was emptied, the Athens Fire Department was dispatched, a woman was hospitalized and a campus-wide emergency alert was sent to warn of the danger.

We still have no idea what happened. Dangerous chemicals could have reacted unexpectedly or a natural gas line could have broken. Yet again, we don’t know.

A troubling trend of silence is emerging from the university. We call on administrators to think of the safety of their students and employees and to trust them to use the information appropriately.

The university isn’t protecting anyone by keeping this information private.

Silence isn’t safety.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post’s executive editors.