Post Editorial: Show some spirit, students

Ohio Athletics bills its supporters as “the best fans in the MAC,” and so far this year they have lived up to the hype.

More than 24,800 fans attended Saturday’s football game against rival Marshall, and 24,511 watched Ohio take down North Texas in its home opener.

Those marks are the third and sixth best attended games in Peden Stadium history and are well more than the venue’s official capacity of 24,000.

Saturday’s attendance figures pale to only two games in school history — both of which took place during the Bobcats’ seven-game winning streak in 2012.

In fact, four of the top six crowds in Peden Stadium history have assembled over the last two years, and Ohio led the Mid-American Conference in football attendance last season.

Impressive attendance isn’t limited to Peden Stadium, as the volleyball team — which is sitting at 8-1 and has beaten two ranked teams this season — also pulled almost 3,900 fans for a match against North Carolina on Sept. 6.

The women’s soccer team hasn’t had more than 420 fans at a home game this season but is on a four-game tear and is worth checking out, too.

There’s no better way to reward our athletic teams’ successes than supporting them from the stands, and we urge you all to continue to pack Peden, The Convo and Chessa Field this fall.

After all, attendance is free for students. There are promotions and giveaways galore and there are few better ways to spend the day than cheering on your team.

You’re paying to support these programs and the players are dominating their fields of play, so get out there and show some Bobcat pride.

And now that Athletics has got you to the game, they just need to figure out how to keep you there after halftime.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post’s executive editors.