Ohio's Tonya Frasik battles DePaul Forward Elise Wyatt as they chase the ball Friday at Chessa Field. The Blue Demons defeated the Bobcats 3-1. (Isaac Hale | File Photo)

Team veterans play reliable, crucial role in 'Cats defense

In soccer, plays begin to build at the back line, which is also a team’s last line of defense.

The players who patrol it are vital to a team’s success — something coach Aaron Rodgers, a former keeper, is plenty familiar with. He has emphasized a commitment to defense this season, and Ohio has shown improvement in that regard, marginally improving its goals against average.

“We organize our team to defend first, but we want to win the ball back as quickly as we possibly can,” Rodgers said. “That’s a whole team organization, but we definitely want to cut down on giving up goals.”

Ohio gave up 1.21 goals per game last season — a mark that has since improved to 1.14 per game.

Sophomore Grace Campbell and junior Gabby Hausfeld man the center of Ohio’s back line and Ohio’s all-time saves leader Mattie Liston, a senior, guards the goalmouth. Much of Ohio’s defensive success, Liston said, hinges on the familiarity the teammates have with each other’s playing style.

“It’s been nice to have them last year and this year as the center backs,” Liston said. “They have more experience, which is good because it allows me to play goalkeeper more and have to do less communicating because they talk a lot.”

Rodgers is quick to acknowledge their chemistry and communication.

“Gabby and Grace feel comfortable with each other,” he said. “They play well with each other; they know what each other is going to do and that is huge. Same with Mattie at the back — she’s able to communicate and organize with them to give us a solid unit.”

Rodgers and assistant coach Allison Whitworth, both former keepers, have been a helpful resource to the Bobcats’ top defenders. They have passed on their wisdom to the Bobcats’ improved back core.

“They definitely have a ton of knowledge and a ton of skill,” said Liston. “So, just from what they’ve done in the past and the games they have been in, in the higher pressure situations, they can give me advice on those higher pressure situations.”

A keeper is often responsible for directing traffic in the field in front of the goal — something Campbell said she has picked up from her coaches.

“One thing that I think we have improved on a lot is our 1v1 and our 2v2 defending,” she said. “I think that’s something that they really stress.”

The Bobcats gave up only one goal in five of their first six games this season and recorded their first shutout on Friday against Youngstown State.

“The wins obviously mean the most, but for the back line (a shutout is) a boost of confidence that you did your job and you did it as perfectly as possible,” Liston said.

@KovarAndrew

ak849511@ohiou.edu