The PHILosopher: Studying, not partying, should take first priority

Opening weekend is now but a blur of a memory because classes are in full swing.

If you didn’t notice, the parties seemed to be a little more scarce this weekend. Welcome to the full college experience.

Yeah, I know that I am primarily addressing freshmen when I say opening weekend is not an accurate portrayal of every weekend at OU. However, upperclassmen know all to well that you’ve got to be able to balance your time between spitting game at the cute blonde girl from South Green and actually, I don’t know, studying for your calculus course. Am I about to drop some mass wisdom? You bet your ass I am.

For most of you under-21-year-olds, the solution to this predicament is simple. You can’t get into bars on Court Street (except for Country Night at Red Brick and personally I would rather risk malaria then go to that atrocious event ever again) and you can’t go to BP and snag some Natties on what should have been your grocery money.

Basically, for the freshmen and sophomores, your best bet at attending a party would be on the weekends when us older folk decide to not only let you into our house but also allow you to destroy it. Count your blessings now because eventually the tides will turn…

But what’s the solution for us juniors and seniors? Remember during the Spiderman movie when Uncle Ben dies? The quote he said most definitely holds true: “With great power comes great responsibility.” Granted, you can go grab a 12 pack of Bud Light and get trashed on a Monday night and no one will bat an eye. Sounds legit, right?

Of course it does, until it dawns on you that you have a Blackboard quiz in your 3000 level management course that is due… in five minutes. Take it from me, formulas of regression aren’t exactly a cakewalk but they are easily 10 times harder when you’re hammered.

Yeah, I’ve been in the situation that I just described to you. I did learn something very valuable that night. And no, it wasn’t that I discovered I have an uncanny ability to bong tall boys (which is a skill I can say that I am moderately proud of). I learned that if I want to do things that are fun, things that are more or less considered work, these have to be accomplished beforehand.

Judging by how I write this column and by my general demeanor, it is totally reasonable to believe that I don’t care about and/or have a low GPA. That’s where the old PHILosopher has a trick up his sleeve. I have over a 3.0 cumulative GPA and missed the Dean’s List last semester by a mere .1 (for those of you who don’t know, the cut off is 3.5).

I’m simply stating the same thing that my dude Wiz Khalifa said, “Work hard, play hard.”

Upperclassmen: Work before beer, you’re in the clear. Beer before work, you’ll go berserk.

Phil Morehead is a senior studying health services administration and a columnist for The Post. Do you have any other tips on time management? Email him at pm189309@ohiou.edu