Ohio University's volleyball sophomores are, from left, Abby Gilland, Karin Bull and Meredith Ashy. (Logan Riely | For The Post)

Volleyball: Bobcat sophomores continue to improve skills

When a college athlete starts her freshman season, it takes a while to fit in with her peers and perform with a higher level of competition.

Ohio’s three sophomores this season each went through the transition last year and have already used that experience to begin the 2013 season with a 3-0 start, as the Bobcats swept all nine sets they played in this weekend’s Oregon Classic.

The trio includes libero Meredith Ashy, who earned All-Mid American Conference First Team honors last year, along with being named to the All-MAC Freshman Team. She said the recognition is going to help her push herself even harder this season.

“It was an honor, but I wasn’t really expecting it,” Ashy said. “I’m going to keep pushing myself, and maybe even get MAC player of the year this season.”

Setter Abby Gilleland also took a leadership role during her freshman year, which she said was a big step for a player to take while she was also getting situated with a new team and new level of play.

Gilleland was named the Oregon Classic Most Valuable Player, as well as this week’s Mid-American Conference offensive player of the week after stellar play this weekend.

“I think as a freshman setter, I was kind of thrown into a partial leadership role,” Gilleland said. “Coming back as a veteran (this season), I have a little more leadership, and I feel like the hitters trust me more.”

Ashy and Gilleland played in each of the 31 matches last year, but fellow sophomore middle blocker Karin Bull did not see as much action, as she played in just 18 matches.

However, Bull expects that she will receive more playing time this season and because of that, she believes that her play will improve.

“Being one of the few middles to return this year, I feel like I have more of a leadership position, at least for the middles,” Bull said.

Coach Ryan Theis expects the sophomores will have an even better season this year, especially with a full year of collegiate volleyball under their belts.

T

he fourth member of the recruiting class was Carley Jones, who transferred to Eastern Kentucky after playing in every match for Ohio last year during her freshman campaign. She is a Kentucky native.

“The sophomores have all improved a lot,” Theis said. “Karin (Bull) had about 2 points per game last year, and I could see her jumping to at least 3 this year.”

In many sports, freshmen become used to their environment before coming back to perform well during their sophomore season. Bull said that the familiarity with her team would help out the sophomores this season.

“I know the team better, and we all have really good team chemistry compared to last year,” Bull said. “For me, I just feel a lot closer to the team, and we all have our roles here now.”

The Bobcats will open their home schedule this weekend when Dayton, Cincinnati and No. 24 North Carolina come to The Convo for the Ohio Invitational.

ab109410@ohiou.edu