Beauty and the Bobcat: It's hard to pass up on makeup at drugstores

Last week I discussed how I went to CVS and purchased drugstore-brand foundation products, a difficult task that turned out to be not so bad. But I have a confession to make: I didn’t stop there… I also bought other products that I just couldn’t resist.

While I was checking out the Physicians Formula Conceal Rx, an old favorite caught my eye: The Physicians Formula Summer Eclipse bronzer in the shade Moonlight. This was actually the first bronzer I ever used and has been a favorite of mine ever since. However, since purchasing the cult-product NARS bronzer in the shade Laguna, I have scoffed at the $13 Physicians product, but I decided to give it another chance for the sake of old times.

Summer Eclipse in Moonlight is one of the lighter bronzers out there, but I think it still does the trick by adding a subtle look which is good for colder seasons since we’re not getting that much sun anyway. In the pan, the product has a matte bronze background with a shimmery golden moon in the foreground. Before applying, I take a powder brush and swirl it over both colors, but the split pan makes it easy to add more bronze or more shimmer in areas of need – plus the moon side makes for a good highlighter for your cheek or brow bones. I think Summer Eclipse is a good, versatile product at an affordable price and if you’re in the market for a light bronzer during this cold weather takeover, it is definitely worth a try.

The next product I picked up was the Maybelline Color Tattoo Pure Pigments in the shade Breaking Bronze. I’m a big fan of the Maybelline Color Tattoo cream eye shadow, so I decided to give the Pure Pigments version a try. I do like the color, however like all loose shadow I’ve tried, it’s too messy – or I’m too sloppy.

I still prefer the cream eye shadow version of the Color Tattoo line because it’s easy to apply with your finger, blends really nicely and actually looks darker in the crease on its own. The cream version is also a good undertone shadow that blends well when topped with other shades, and can act like a primer by allowing powder to stick to it.

In my opinion, the pure pigment takes a little more effort and, honestly, if I’m going to go that far I’d rather just use a pan. But I’m just fussy when it comes to eye makeup, so if loose powder is your thing, then I’d definitely give the Color Tattoo Pure Pigments a try. At $7, both versions of this product are hard to pass up. Plus, the line itself is gorgeous and the products are great quality – it just depends which form you prefer to use them in!

Looking back on it, with all of the money I spent, I would’ve been able to just repurchase my Benefit foundation – but who would turn down lots of new makeup products? For the most part, I love the drugstore products that I purchased and I won’t be too quick to put them off when I see something that catches my eye in the future.

Taylor LaPuma is a junior studying journalism and a columnist for The Post. What are your favorite drugstore-brand beauty products? Email Taylor at tl674710@ohiou.edu.