Sophomore Adele Sammons goes after the ball in the game against Central Michigan. Ohio lost 2-1 in overtime. The team will debut its new field this Wednesday. (Seth Archer | For The Post)

'Cats thrilled to be back home on Pruitt's new turf

Since its preseason started in August, Ohio has held practice at Ping Center, Peden Stadium and even the Ohio University Tennis Courts covered in a turf carpet. That said, it’s safe to say the Bobcats have experienced their fair share of adversity.

Last week, however, longstanding construction at Pruitt Field was completed. Team members and their coaches are, expectedly, excited about the new pitch.

“The changes that were made are fantastic. The new turf plays great,” Ohio coach Neil Macmillan said. “But with all that we’ve been through this season so far, the upgrades to Pruitt weren’t worth the trouble we’ve endured this season.”

Despite losing to Central Michigan at Pruitt on Saturday, being back home is a blessing for the Bobcats.

Historically, Ohio plays stronger at home than elsewhere. Since 2008, the Bobcats have a record of 30-17 while at Pruitt Field and are 24-31 when listed as the away team. At home, they have scored almost 2.5 goals per game (119 goals) and allowed slightly more than one per game (79 goals) over that stretch.

The Bobcats have played a majority of their games on the road over the last five years, with 45 road games compared to 39 at home.

Ohio has scored, on average, one fewer goal per game on the road than at home. The Bobcats have given up 1.78 goals per game at home, which partially explains why the team performs so well at Pruitt Field.

“Playing at Pruitt is 10 times better than playing anywhere else,” Macmillan said. “Another plus  is that we get to have a full practice, which is something that we haven’t had yet this year and is a big deal for us in preparation.”

Ohio players are also anxious to be back at their home pitch. Earlier this season, some players were worried that they wouldn’t get to play at home at all this season.

“It’s surreal to be back here, especially when I thought that we might not be back here this year,” senior Katherine Fenzel said last week.

The Bobcats get a second chance at winning their first home game of the season when they take on rival Miami on Wednesday. The game offers the Bobcats a chance to avenge their back-to-back, season-ending losses to the RedHawks last season.

tl790511@ohiou.edu