Post Editorial: 'Post' letters lead to discussions

Last week, Student Senate President Nick Southall, Ohio University President Roderick McDavis, Chair Trustee Sandra Anderson and members of OU’s Faculty Senate all submitted letters to The Post.

We recently wrote an editorial about the troubling trend of newspapers cutting pages from opinion sections. We urged readers to continue to send in letters to The Post, and we have fortunately seen an increase in interaction with our readers. 

Each letter sparked discussion online, and some even prompted additional letters. 

We hope that will continue.

We are proud to serve as an outlet for our readers to get their voices out to anybody, both online and in print. Though some letters result in controversy and disagreement, we believe the discussion is incredibly important.

In Stephen Greenblatt’s 2012 Pulitzer-Prize-winning nonfiction book The Swerve: How the World Became Modern, he wrote, “Discussion itself is what most matters, the fact that we can reason together easily, with a blend of wit and seriousness, never descending into gossip or slander and always allowing room for alternative views.”

We think that is essentially what the opinion page should be — a place for discussion — and we hope you continue to make it just that.

So sharpen your keyboards, everyone, and keep ‘em coming.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post's executive editors.