Sports Column: There is no 'Plan B', Broncos need must-win mentality

The Denver Broncos are the best team in the NFL and have the best quarterback in Peyton Manning, but the time to win is now.

After a disappointing loss against the Ravens last postseason, Manning and the Orange Crush must win to win the Super Bowl this year. With Manning's career winding down, the Broncos are looking to do whatever is necessary to take home the Lombardi trophy.

The promising year for the Broncos began with a rocky start with season-ending injuries to star left tackle Ryan Clady as well as center Dan Koppen, which was followed by a six-game suspension of Pro Bowl linebacker Von Miller for violating the league's drug policy.

These setbacks on paper seemed to harm a top-ranked team.

But the doubts soon faded, as the Broncos have rolled through their opponents, except for last week’s game against Dallas. The Broncos’ defense did not play to their potential and allowed 48 points, but made a clutch interception to end Tony Romo's record day.

However, the offense was still strong by scoring 51 points and making every fantasy owner that doesn't have Manning at quarterback cuss at their matchups.

This offense should continue throughout the year, as each time Denver comes to the line, all can hear Manning yelling a variety of commands, such as "hurry, hurry" or “Omaha, Omaha,” which is his way of reading a defense and calling a play before the play clock expires.

Manning's extensive football knowledge helps the Denver offense remain unpredictable.

The depth at almost every position also makes the offense hard to stop. Denver’s three running backs have shown great improvements, especially Knowshon Moreno, who has shown that he wants to be the number one back and wants to win. His backups Ronnie Hillman and Montee Ball have worked to make sure that if any running back doesn't play to potential, the next others are ready to provide the running game that the Broncos need.

I don't believe much needs to be said about the receiving core of the Broncos. With Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker and Wes Welker out wide, Manning has many dangerous targets.

Not only is the wide receiving core enough to make defenses cringe but tight end Julius Thomas made the right decision to leave the game of basketball. With a top quarterback, deadly receiving core and a group of running backs that have shown improvement, it is hard to see the cracks in the foundation of the Broncos’ offense.

But all the hype and talent doesn't mean much if Denver doesn't result in the Super Bowl that Broncos Country wants.

There is no “Plan B.”

Backup quarterback Brock Osweiler is not ready to lead the team and with Manning's career coming to a close within the next few years, the Broncos need to take advantage of every snap he calls, because when No. 18 leaves the field for the last time, fans don't want to go back to being the mediocre team of the previous years after the John Elway era.   

Paul Holden is a sports writer for The Postand is a freshman at Ohio University studying journalism. Do you also believe Denver must win the Super Bowl? Let him know at ph553412@ohiou.edu or tweet him @PaulHolden33.