That's A Wrap: 'Gravity' film should be out of this world

Gravity, the new Sandra Bullock and George Clooney movie, came out Friday and is now breaking box office records. With its $55.6 million three-day hull, Gravity has broken the record for best October weekend openings of all time, which is great for a film with a $100 million budget.

Gravity, if you haven’t heard already, is a film about two people who try to survive an accident that leaves them drifting in space.

The film looks very intense, so I think that is the main reason the movie is generating so much buzz. With such amazing animation throughout the film and the amazing work of Alfonso Cuarón, this movie has the ability to create suspenseful, mind-blowing scenes that can keep audience members at the edge of their seats.

Cuarón spent four and a half years on this project and claims he will “...never do another space movie” because of the difficulty of this one. One of the challenges of the film was getting the physics right. He would sometimes have the animators redo entire scenes because the characters did not look like they were in zero gravity. One of the things that I thought would be a drawback was the fact there is no sound in space, so the film would not have the effect of the sound you would hear from the loud crashing of space parts. Based on reviews, the film was said to be brilliant with the silence giving it more suspense.

With a film like this, I would think someone like Hans Zimmer or Ennio Morricone would be scoring, but they seem to have chosen a less reputable candidate, Steven Price.

Price, whose only well-known movie score was the recent The World’s End, has been working in the industry for years but has not grown a large reputation until his work with Attack the Block, for which he earned several awards and nominations, including best original score at the South by Southwest Film Festival. He must be really good if he was chosen for Gravity, and he might be the next John Williams, who has done scores for Jaws, the Star Wars series and the first three Harry Potter films.

Gravity has already earned a 98 percent on Rotten Tomatoes and has great reviews from directors such as James Cameron. I am excited to see this film, and it is now on the top of my list of films to see.

Abdalah El-Barrad is a freshman studying economics and a columnist for The Post. Have you seen Gravity? Email him at ae738513@ohiou.edu.