Beauty and the Bobcat: 3-D nail polish is catchy yet uncomfortable

Other than pretty seasonal colors, there have been plenty of funky nail polish trends lately. One of the biggest trends in the nail polish world is 3-D, texturized finishes. I’m not usually one to experiment with anything too crazy, but a few polishes caught my eye recently and I decided to give them a try.

The first one I picked up was the Sally Hansen Fuzzy Coat in the shade Fuzz-Sea because it reminded me of little sweaters for your nails and I thought it was too cute to pass up. According to its website, Sally boasts that the $7 polish “transforms nails with a woven fiber effect.” However, I did not get this impression at all. Instead of them looking fabric-y, my nails just looked like they were covered in rectangle-shaped glitter. I did find, however, that the more of the product I applied the cooler the effect looked, but I don’t like to use too many coats of polish because it takes forever to dry and peels off easier. This polish was cute, and it came in wide variety of cool multidimensional-looking shades, but the nail sweaters just didn’t fit me.

The next product that caught my eye was the OPI Liquid Sand polish in the pretty purple shade Can’t Let Go, which costs about $9. Liquid Sand is a creamy, matte polish with gritty “sand” and sparkles in it that gives a 3-D effect reminiscent of gumdrops—super cute for the holiday season. This polish is relatively thick and I was able to achieve the look in two coats. I definitely like the finish and concept of this polish, but I couldn’t handle the way my nails felt while wearing this product and I ended up removing it within a few hours. I’m really finicky when it comes to my nails and I just didn’t like the sandy polish. It felt like it was snagging on everything I touched and it just was generally unpleasant for me. If you’re not weird like me, Liquid Sand is a nice way to jump into trend.

Although the 3-D nail style didn’t prove to be my thing, there are still tons of neat polishes and I’d honestly love to give them all a chance. I’m planning on experimenting with these products along with others that catch my attention before exiling the trend from my collection completely. Until then, however, I’m just going to stick with classic nail polishes.

Taylor LaPuma is a junior studying journalism and a columnist for The Post. What are your favorite nail polishes? Email Taylor at tl674710@ohiou.edu.