Beauty and the Bobcat: The fall features a fantastic array of new shades

Let’s face it; there’s no better place to be in the autumn than Ohio University. Seeing the leaves change and walking to class in the crisp autumn air, I’ve been getting into the sweater-weather spirit a lot lately. Because I’m so excited, I want to share my autumn/winter beauty favorites with you. There’s almost nothing better than new, seasonal, beauty products... at least for me.

I absolutely love lipsticks and a new season means new shades. I was more than excited to pick up some berry-toned beauties. I have normally stuck to more subtle dark shades, but I came out of my comfort zone and purchased my darkest lipstick yet: A Different Grape from Clinique’s Different Lipstick line. This deep-purple shade is gorgeous and gives even my most casual makeup look an autumnal feel. At first I was wary about looking too ’90s with such a bold purple lip, but I have enjoyed wearing it and I think I pull it off well.

I am a fan of Clinique products, especially its lipstick. The beautiful shades boast a soft shine and provide lasting, wearable color; needless to say, I picked up another shade. At $15 each, these lipsticks are a bit pricey, but I clearly lack self-control and couldn’t pass them up. I justified my splurge by telling myself that if A Different Grape didn’t work out well, I should get a lighter purple just in case. I also couldn’t overlook the shimmery, pinkish-purple shade Raspberry Glace. This shade is perfect for an everyday look; its pink tone adds more subtlety, and the beautiful soft gold shimmer gives it an extra pop. I’m obsessed.

I’d like to say that I stopped there, believe me, but I bought just one last product by Clinique, the Superbalm Moisturizing Gloss in the shade Lilac (also $15). What about days that I don’t need a full face of makeup but still want to show my seasonal spirit via a cute lip color? Justified. This non-shimmery, pearly violet lip gloss is perfect for fall days, and it also adds a pretty shine when applied over lipsticks. I don’t wear gloss too much, but I think I’ll definitely get use out of this product this season.

This dark purple motif continues on my eyes with my favorite autumn/winter shadows. This time of the year is when I tend toward the smoky eye, but as I’ve said before – I’m not the best at applying eye shadow. This doesn’t mean that I don’t make an effort. I am excited to be able to show love to the darker side of my In the Moment Palette by Stila, which costs about $40.

This palette contains three purple shades: Impulse, a light lilac; Glance, a vivid purple; and Improvise, a deep, wine-hued shade. I like to use a mixture of Glance and Improvise in my crease to add depth, Improvise to line my lower lashes and a mixture of Impulse and Instinct (a shimmery cream) to highlight my brow bone. I really like Stila products, especially this shadow palette, because its colors are super pigmented and all-around gorgeous – I am very excited to be able to experiment with more shades this season.

The last products I have been really in love with this season aren’t makeup, but nail polishes. Essie is my favorite brand of polish and they have come out with tons of cute autumn and winter colors which cost about $9 each. The shade Twin Sweater Set is a vibrant, crimson red that Essie put out in its fall line. I love red nails going into the winter season as well, especially around Christmastime, so I had to take it home. The next shade I added to my collection was Parka Perfect from the winter line. This pretty, shimmery bluish gray is reminiscent of snowy skies and I have never purchased anything like it. I haven’t used it yet but I’ve been eyeing it just waiting for the perfect day to debut this cute shade.

Taylor LaPuma is a junior studying journalism and a columnist for The Post. What are your favorite beauty products this season? Email Taylor at tl674710@ohiou.edu.