Between the Lines: A broken bracelet doesn't break friendship

I carry a broken bracelet in my wallet. Whenever I scavenge for change, it always nearly falls to the ground, causing me to have a mini panic attack and pledge to never look for change again.

My best friend from high school, Elsa, gave this bracelet to me. She goes to THE Ohio State University (I’m sure she’ll appreciate that), and I’ve known her since seventh grade. It may seem lame and sappy that I carry around a broken bracelet with our names engraved on it. However, in addition to it being from Australia (pretty spiffy, huh?) the bracelet signifies a very important time in my life.

My friends from home have always been a part of my family. My best male friend I’ve known since I first moved to the country also goes to THE Ohio State University. When I moved to college, I felt like I was going to lose them, especially because I was going to college an hour and a half away and had no car.

However, this weekend both Elsa and her roommate Ellen came down to Athens for about 24 hours. Although our night was less than thrilling — we spent the night being very competitive about Clue — it was still a great visit. I tend to get along with her roommate exceedingly well, and Elsa and Ellen accepted my friends as if they saw them every weekend.

Along with the fact that we tend to visit each other whenever we can and our friend groups overlap, this kind of thing signifies that although we parted ways at graduation, we’ll be in each other’s lives for the foreseeable future. Or I’m blindly optimistic. Either one. But anyway, although the friendships I’ve made in college are very strong, some of the strongest bonds are still with the people who knew me in every stage of life.

Because after all, those who have forgiven you for wearing fluffy cow sweaters (I was a stylin’ fourth grader) and loved you throughout your awkward years are the friends you want around forever.

Emily Bamforth is a junior studying journalism in the Honors Tutorial College and is a staff writer for The Post. Do you keep in touch with your high school pals? Email her at eb104010@ohiou.edu.