Gamer Girl: Smartphone games are incredibly addicting

I’m completely addicted to playing games on my phone. It’s a horrible habit — it kills my battery, distracts me in class and makes me stay up late trying to beat levels. I can’t help it, I’m obsessed.

The game I’ve been playing the most lately has been “Jelly Splash.” It’s a free game, and the main goal is to clear a certain amount of “jellies,” which are small colored circles. Each level has a different amount of turns and challenges.

Be careful though — you only have five lives that refresh every 30 minutes. You can get more, but it’ll cost you 99 cents for a set of five.

I’m not totally sure why I love this game, but it’s a quick one to play when you get a few free minutes. Some levels are quick and will take you one try, but others make you try a little harder. I was stuck on one for what felt like a week.

It’s a little bit like “Candy Crush Saga,” the game taking over the lives of almost everyone on campus, but you connect the circles in groups of three or more instead of swapping the positions of some.

Another that I can’t stop myself from playing is “Where’s My Water? 2.” I loved the original version of this, and the second version is even better.

In the game, your goal is to get the water, steam or poison to the specific alligator. The levels are different mazes set in a sewer system. You have to cut through dirt, use drains and avoid algae.

You have unlimited lives, and you need to collect ducks from each level to progress to different levels. Ducks are collected with water.

This game is developed by Disney, which it automatically makes it a good game. While it may be geared towards kids playing with their parents smartphones, I can’t help but love it.

A game that’s more strategy based is called “Plague Inc.” You essentially create a disease and try to take over the map. You choose a country to start your disease, and it slowly catches on to others through planes and boats. The more you infect, the more ways you can evolve your disease. Eventually, countries stop their transportation and will begin to work on a cure. You must infect every country and kill all the citizens in the game to win.

It sounds like a pretty dark mobile game, but it becomes addicting once you begin to evolve your disease.

A similar game is Pandemic. I bought this on my iPad, and have never spent more on a game ($6.99, don’t judge me). It’s based on a board game. Your goal is to stop an infection from taking over the world. It’s designed for multiple players, but you can just as easily play the different roles.

You stop infections by having players cure what each city has. There are four different diseases. To completely cure the disease, a player must collect five of the same color card.

This is all happening while more cities are being infected on each turn. You only have so many cards to go through until you lose.

It is actually a pretty tricky game, but it doesn’t get old to keep replaying.

Sophie Kruse is a sophomore studying journalism. What are your favorite mobile games? Tell her at sk139011@ohiou.edu.